Vac lines

Kenny535d

hey all 

Was doing my vac line today and came across a few odd things. Firstly the way they are on my car isn’t the same as any images I can see. The ones to the pressure converters were round the wrong way 🤔 I still get good boost from both turbos but odd why they are the opposite way. Would this make any difference? 

Also took the inlet off to check for swirl delete. Thankfully that’s already done by previous owner. The egr valve is in place but came across it looking like it’s been welded? I’ve attached a pic and also one of a random blocked vac line. I assume this is for the egr, on ista it shows as egr not being requested so assume this has been coded out but all left in place? 

Also found 4 of the 7 back up rings missing from the inlet manifold. Very odd Indeed. They haven’t fell anywhere just don’t seem to be there 😳

6A15835C-314C-44A7-AC55-21ECCC870030.jpeg

FE0083D3-4DAF-4777-8998-6D6A33221909.jpeg

Holy Moley Kenny !!! the guy who owned and (err) improved your car was an absolute star wasn't he 🙄 Definitely from the school of "if it doesn't fit you are using the wrong size hammer" school of mechanics 🤣 He also subscribed to when you put it back together and there are bits still in the box and the engine runs then they clearly aren't important !! Your car is like a teaching aid for all the things NOT to do.

The swapped vac lines from what I read some time ago could cause sequence issues (lag) I will see if I can dig out the article. The blocked line is for the EGR and yes he has either done it himself or had someone carry out an EGR delete in the program. Makes you wonder why he didn't just fit a blanking plate ?? 

After all his "tuning" he probably had a Re-map to get back the power he lost !! Once you have sorted all the rubbish it will probably go like a rocket 😅

Dave

Yip. Thankfully bmw had some of the seals so it’s all back together and running again, apart from me being to heavy handed and snapping a hose clip lol. 

It’s absolutely caked in oil though. Absolutely everywhere. Think it’s coming from the plastic intake pipe and spraying everywhere, only seems to be on that side of the engine and worst right behind and below that pipe. Next port of call is a steam clean and find the leak properly. Not in the mind set to just throw money at it. That being said, just to be sure I went and bought an inspection light to make sure the seals I found missing hadn’t fell down inside the head lol, least that will come in handy to find the engine mount vac pipes. Only ones I couldn’t get to. 

Morning Kenny

If my old brain is working there was a recall on the Vac pumps for them leaking oil, worth a check with BMW that yours has been done? I know Range Rover suffered with Oil collecting in the inter-cooler in extreme cases it caused hydraulic lock on the engines. Signs were oil in the inlet tracts. Not read anything about it on BMW's but worth disconnecting the inter cooler pipework and checking they are OK.

Dave

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links