1978 BMW 633 Coupé (Non-CSI Version) Advice

Guido

Hi all,

I am new to this forum and I wondered if any of you can help me?  
I’m struggling to find information online and would be very grateful if someone could point me to a good resource of information if there is one.
The model I am looking for information on is the 1978 633 Coupé - the Non-CSI version (if indeed there was such a non-CSI model made then). I don’t think it had the spoiler at the rear but I could be wrong.

Any help would be really appreciated.

Thank you, Guido

Morning Guido

Welcome to the Forum

Wow just wow, if your car is genuine then you could have your hands on a very rare car indeed. The E24 was a development from the E9 as far as I know production number s were very low around 200 cars mid 1970's to late 1980's. I am told that the early cars bodies were produced by Karmann which would make it rarer still.

You must have Chassis/ Engine numbers I would contact BMW direct for help they should be able to trace at least it's production history 

Dave

Hi Dave,

Thank you for your reply and advice.  I just contacted BMW UK and the put me onto BMW Group Classic based in Munchen.  Unfortunately they responded: "The BMW Group Archive is currently in the process of moving its inventory to a new location and is therefore only operating at a very limited capacity. For this reason, we are unable to process any inquiries at the present time and cannot issue certificates"  I can't establish when and where my car was made therefore. 

I don't suppose you happen to know if BMW produced non-CSI versions of the 633 in or around 1978, or were they all 633 CSIs?  I have always though mine was just a 633 but I cannot find any reference to a 633 only model on the internet, only CSI models.  If they did produce 633 (non CSIs), I wonder if they are more desirable than the CSI models?

Dean

Morning Guido

I spent most of my working life involved with materials handling systems and their controls, if we were migrating a clients control package/system upgrade whatever the reason we NEVER turned off what was there until the new package was fully commissioned. Sadly it seems BMW (like many others) just shut stuff down just crazy.

My neighbour works for BMW Group I will see if he's home and ask if he can help.

Just spoke with him and he accessed what he could of the archive so here goes, production started in March 1976 with complete car assembly by Karmann some early cars were 3.0cs (can't find numbers yet) he believes all 633 were CSi.  Karmann built complete cars until August 1977

After August Karmann made bodies but assembly was by BMW late 1977 they started to produce the 635CSi. 

Apparently the 1976/77 Karmann built cars are proverbial Rocking Horse Poo he suggests contacting Karmann they will have chassis records, apparently BMW are due up and running soon !! So if your car was registered in 1976 or early 1977 chances are it's pretty special.

Fingers crossed for you 

Dave

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links