Car pulling to 1 side when realease wheel

Birdie

Hello can someone please help me asap as im worrying sick.. I have bought a 320m coupe sport 2013 plate it has got 19"bmw wheels on it with pirelli run flat tyres 225/30/19 on front and 245/35/19 on the rears, the car has been laser tracked and alignment done.. Please tell me why the steering feels so so heavy and the car pulls left or right when letting go of the steering wheel... Im very confused and worried any help would be appreciated steve... 

Morning Steve

Are you sure of those tyre sizes ?? Normally I would expect to see 225x35x19 Front and 245x30x19 Rear

When you had the cars alignment checked was it (a) 4 wheel alignment and (b) did they check tyre condition and pressures ?

Your description seems to indicate tramlining (the car following contours in the road) quite common with runflats particularly when they are worn. 

Runflats by the nature and construction have very little flex so the tread when new allows flex as it wears as there is less flex the tyres grip makes it want to follow white lines and contours in the road.

Get the suspension checked make sure everything is straight and no worn bushes with our potholed roads it takes a battering and if bushes are worn things can get vague in the steering department.

Dave

Hi dave thats definitely the way the tyres are set now, should i get this changed asap, and inform the garage i brought it from, can i go back to normal tyres and increase the profile on the front rims? 

Morning Steve

If the front and rear tyres are as your first post they are definitely wrong, a look at reaoem.com (a BMW parts list) shows wheels for your car as Front 8J x 19" ET37 Rear 9J x 19" ET39 with Tyres being Front 225/35 R19 88Y and Rear 255/30 R19 91Y. 

Personally I would change them to the correct sizes, you cam fit either runflat or Non-runflat tyres just make sure they are not CHEAP but a well recognised brand.

If the tyres are legal and wear is even then the garage have done nothing wrong so you may get little or no help from them but worth a try to see if you can get at least a contribution.

Dave

Morning Steve

As long as the Power Steering fluid is at the right level and there are no leaks it should be OK. To drain and refill can be a messy job.

When you hold your power steering against the end stops (full lock) you are hearing the pressure release vales working, quite natural. Winding the car's steering lock to lock while stationary is not good practice as it puts unnecessary strain on all components.

When you say heavy steering what are you comparing it too? As an example compared to my wife's Subaru Outback the X5 feels as though it has no power steering 🤣 but when you consider that the X5 is almost twice as heavy and tyre width is half again?? While on the move in either car there is no real difference.

Dave