Hi From a Newbie to the Forum but on my 3rd BMW

FireOut

Hi thanks for allowing me to join I have recently purchased a nice "oldish" lady an X5 E53 about to tip over the 100,000 miles but solid as anything. She is in very good condition considering her age 2005 with one or two things I would like to sort out - the Satnav/Radio and the PDC issue -basically not working but I will search through the various threads as I am sure I am not the only one who has come across these issues so hopefully I can find some answers to these issues!

One question from me if I go for an aftermarket Head is the Xtron brand any good?

Hi and welcome. 
another e53 owner here.

the Pdc is a right pain, get a copy of pa soft and a laptop and scan, it’s a money saver and a nerve saver! 
by scanning for any issues, it will pinpoint which sensors are causing issues. Once one goes, it throws the whole system out.  Another way is to put the car in reverse (without the engine running!!!!) and put your ear to each sensor. You should hear it click. The one(s) which doesn’t clock is the issue. 

The stereos are all pretty similar in the xtronnproce range. I have one and it does the job. 
I have sat nav, reversing camera , as card, cd, radio, Bluetooth etc and steering wheel controls too. 

there are higher end ones that will retain the dash signals .IE the time etc on the dash, but I just use the time on the head unit. The dash tells me how rapidly I run out of petrol ( currently 17mpg average) 

If your problems are only the ones listed above… get ready! Haha. 

I have also had a couple of bm’s 

e30 318 coupe, e36 316 saloon x2, e34 518,520,525, e46 316, e90 2.0, e53 3.0 … 

• Like 1

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/363092074789?hash=item5489f96125:g:clQAAOSwUBlfTbJA

hi.

I think it was this one I bought. Plug your laptop in and away you go. 
I use windows 7, I’m not sure if it is compatible with 10. 

@greydog should be along soon.  
he also uses other scanning software, but I found the pa soft food for my needs. 

Morning Jim

Welcome 

Stu is quite right the PA Soft BMW 1.4.0 diagnostic is great and in my opinion the best and easiest to get to grips with it will work with all BMW's that have I-bus communication. For newer models with K and M bus communication then other systems are needed. If your an engineer with a "need to know" (or as my Daughter says GEEK) like me you end up with them all, and not just for BMW. Like Stu all my diagnostics sit on an old Win7 laptop which I keep in the garage on top of the beer fridge 😂

Your Sat Nav/Radio problem when I brought the first 4.4 E53 it had issues in the end I fitted a Dynavin unit because it retained the OBC function (the Geek thing again) you will need a 5m extension to run from the boot to the dash I added to the loom an extension for the Radio antenna and the Nav antenna. All the BMW OEM stuff I sold on Ebay and got more than the cost of the Dynavin ?? Mad. My E53 4.6is is all OEM still and everything works. (So Far !! 😁)

Most common cause of issues with the PDC are first the sensors and connectors, water ingress from jet washes and car washes corner ones can be fiddly if you have fat fingers like me but an easy to change item, make sure you clean the connectors with a good contact cleaner. If there are still issues then it could be the PDC control unit in the boot by the BM54 Radio unit again an easy change and plenty out there.

ENJOY your E53

Dave

Thanks, Dave, getting to grip a bit more now I am beginning to understand which bits are working and which bits are not thanks to the tip from Stu - looks like several sensors front and back as US, so I definitely need to replace some but first step a SCANNER! and some diagnostics!

And thanks all for the welcome!

Jim

• 3 weeks later...

So been busy since my last post had Covid which was poo but also scanned the BMW and found two sensors one front and one back were out and also just ordered the following from Xtrons so should keep me and my son busy installing this little lot any suggestions or things to watch on changing the PDC sensors or this lot???

DAB+ Tuner | USBDAB03

SKU: ICE/ACS/USBDAB03

Tyre Pressure Monitoring System | External Sensors | TPMS07

SKU: ICE/ACS/TPMS07

OBD2 II Scanner Tool | OBD03

SKU: ICE/SS/OBD03

Dash Cam | DVR027S

SKU: ICE/SS/DVR027S

Dongle | 3GDONG008

SKU: EE/CPT/3GDONG008

BMW | X5 E53 | Various | Android 10 | Octa Core | 4GB RAM & 64GB ROM | PBX7053B

SKU: ICE/HU/PBX7053B

BMW | Various | Reversing Camera | CAMBM5003

SKU: ICE/SS/CAMBM5003

Morning Jim

Hope you are fully recovered now.

With the Xtrons install, if your OEM install had the Nav screen up front you will need a 5m extension which will run from the BM54 Quad Lock connector to the front of the car (this gives all the speaker and power connections) When I fitted the Dynavin in the 4.4 I added a 5 m extension with SMA connectors for the Nav and a 5 m radio antenna extension along with a 5 m video lead for the reverse camera.

With your PDC sensors all rear sensors can be accessed from behind the bumper check the connectors first (get a good contact cleaner and some contact paste I got mine from RS Components) Front PDC sensors Centre are accessible but the corner ones are a bumper off job I am afraid.

Not sure about the OBD scanner tool ( if it is Bluetooth you may find it can't communicate with the cars Ibus system) I remember reading issues others had with Carly for BMW when trying to use it with I bus equipped cars.

Have fun

Dave

1 hour ago, Greydog said:

Morning Jim

Hope you are fully recovered now.

With the Xtrons install, if your OEM install had the Nav screen up front you will need a 5m extension which will run from the BM54 Quad Lock connector to the front of the car (this gives all the speaker and power connections) When I fitted the Dynavin in the 4.4 I added a 5 m extension with SMA connectors for the Nav and a 5 m radio antenna extension along with a 5 m video lead for the reverse camera.

With your PDC sensors all rear sensors can be accessed from behind the bumper check the connectors first (get a good contact cleaner and some contact paste I got mine from RS Components) Front PDC sensors Centre are accessible but the corner ones are a bumper off job I am afraid.

Not sure about the OBD scanner tool ( if it is Bluetooth you may find it can't communicate with the cars Ibus system) I remember reading issues others had with Carly for BMW when trying to use it with I bus equipped cars.

Have fun

Dave

Dave thanks for the advice Covid has gone now thank god so looking forwards to rolling my sleeves up and getting things installed I think the front sensor is a front left inner so should get away without taking the bumper off (fingers crossed) - in regard to the 5 m cable where is the best place to get one from RS again?

The OBD unit was only cheap, so I threw it in the bundle in the hope the Blue Toot will work!

Eternal optimist me!

Thanks again

Jim

Afternoon Jim

You only need the 5 m extension if your original set up had the screen up front all the rest Cd Changer Nav Bluetooth unit are in the left rear cubby in the boot. The BM54 radio unit and TV are under the floor with the battery

If your original set up was Business Radio up front then you wont need the extension as the connecting Quad Lock is behind the dash.

The best place for the Extension if you need it would be from Extron then you know it will fit

Dave

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Greydog said:

Afternoon Jim

You only need the 5 m extension if your original set up had the screen up front all the rest CD Changer Nav Bluetooth unit are in the left rear cubby in the boot. The BM54 radio unit and TV are under the floor with the battery

If your original set up was Business Radio up front then you wont need the extension as the connecting Quad Lock is behind the dash.

The best place for the Extension if you need it would be from Extron then you know it will fit

Dave

Thanks, Dave yes looks like I will need the cable as my unit has TV Screen up front and the Cd Changer is in the rear I will be running a reverse camera cable anyway so the more, the merrier in the Bundle!

On a slightly different note any ideas why the Panoramic Sun roof would not close had a hell of a job trying to close in manually but got it closed before the rain started!

Morning Jim

Contact your supplier for a 5 m extension then before installing add a 5m Video cable a 5m Male to Female SMB cable and a 5m radio antenna extension plus a Fakra to ISO converter. The SMB lead will connect from your existing Nav antenna to your head unit and the Radio antenna using the Fakra converter will connect where the existing radio and its Quadloc connecter are the video lead i obviously for the camera.

To install I ran mine along the passenger side following the route of the existing main loom under the back seat under the plastic edge trim at the doors. Unbolt the front seat I didn't unplug anything just tipped the seat back which gives access to the carpet join under the seat run the loom across under the join to the centre console. Take off the plastic side trim on the console and run the loom I use a curtain wire to feed pull cables through tight bits. With the loom in place connect the Xtron and make sure stuff works, if all good work backwards refitting trim seat etcetera. JOB DONE

Panoramic Roof sadly not one of BMW's best efforts this, a BMW Main Dealer will want to fit a complete new roof cassette £££££ there is a host of information on the net plus some excellent videos on fixes or if your lucky just a reset. My 4.4 had a sticky roof but due to (a) Aircon/Climate control it wasn't used and (b) just when I was going to fix it a Rudy Great tree fell on it and squashed the car. When looking for a replacement I found my 4.6 without a sunroof 🤣so not an issue.

Enjoy tinkering with your Beemer

Dave

• 4 weeks later...

So hi again Guys I need your thoughts on this one I have my X5 E53 also known as Big Bucks as that is what she is costing me - still not able to get the PDC sorted but at least I know what is required - got her booked in to have the Glow Plugs all changed as they are shot (still at least it was NOT the injectors - have fitted an Xtron Android Head and at least I have DAB and a good up to date readable SatNav but does anyone know anything about these Resler USB devices I bought one with the Xtron but have run out of USB ports any suggestions?

As always in your hands but anyone any ideas on how to instal it it looks like a soldering iron for the wires but can I use a USB Hub to give me the needed capacity?

Morning Jim

I have read about the Resler interface but as mine is all still OEM and all working 

Having said that from memory (always dangerous at my age) First you need the Ibus app on your Android device (you used to have to purchase a Licence) Again from memory the Resler needs connecting to the main Quadloc connector (i do remember there being install instructions with pictures) 

How many USB ports are on your Xtron Head unit ? I think you need a clean USB port so maybe if you have 2 USB ports available put a USB Hub on one and save the other for the Resler? In the early days of the Resler there were quite a few who fried the interface by wrong connections so double check before applying power.

Good Luck interesting project

Dave

Thanks Dave

I know what you mean about relying on Memory, yes I do have to buy the Licence for the set-up you can get a free one as a trial, but it is limited I believe. We have had some fun with the whole project, like running the cable all the way from the front to the rear only to discover it was the wrong way around and had to be reversed - Oh! How we laughed 😉 the worst thing is no written instructions are available, and every thing is online, well as we just alluded to by the time you read it in the house get out to the Car you have forgotten which wire is supposed to go where LOL!

Yes we have two USB ports one is in the glove box and one we fed through to the Astray as we felt that would be good for the charging of phones etc. but was looking to avoid pulling it back through but if that is my only option and a hub is not going to work then that is what we will have to do!

Thanks Dave - now what was I going to do next???? 😉