E91 Engine Warning Light

PhilipE

Hi

I bought my 320i E91 several years ago, and, after a lot of initial problems, costing me an arm and a leg to fix, I've had relatively few difficulties. The car has now done in excess of 174,000 miles.

A couple of weeks ago, the nearside front suspension spring broke, necessitating the replacement of both front springs, and the nearside front tyre. As it was impossible to drive the vehicle to my independent mechanics, I took it to a local garage, who did the work correctly. I drove about 42 miles in the car before we then went off on holiday in my partner's Ford Focus.

We came back last night. I started the car up, moved it, and everything seemed ok. However, what I hadn't noticed was that the replaced tyre was completely flat. It's possible that a 'kerbing' accounted for that. I thought the steering was a bit stiff, but having not used the car for several days... This morning, I pumped the tyre back up, using, as usual, a compressor plugged into the cigarette lighter socket. When I came to start, however, the engine was a bit reluctant, with a flurry of warning lights, and the gauges going backwards and forwards.  The engine did start, although the panel now displays the half-section yellow warning light, implying that the engine is running at reduced power. Out on the road, this doesn't seem to be the case - everything seems normal, with no lack of power whatsoever.

Could anyone say whether this is just a glitch of the ECU, and should I just reset the warning light? 

Many thanks

Morning Philip

My guess would be Battery, after the car had been standing then using the compressor knocked it flat so reluctant start and Christmas tree illuminations. Most warnings will reset without help in this case though you have a sticky one. How old is the battery ? I would check or get it checked. If it is OK make sure it is fully charged, if charging on the car use the charging points under the bonnet do not connect to the battery. Once fully charged then disconnect it for 30 mins that should clear your warning lights. If you remove the battery for charging then you are doing the above anyway.

Hope this helps

Dave

Hi Dave

Thank you very much for your re-assuring reply! The battery has been on the car since I had it, so goodness knows how long it was on before that. When I tried to start it yesterday, it was certainly as you described, and symptomatic of a flat battery - I know, because I once left the key in overnight!

I gave the car a good forty mile run yesterday, so, hopefully, the battery will be charged up again. The warning light remained on when I returned, however.

The vehicle's going in tomorrow to have a refurbished radio fitted, and to have the flat tyre checked out. I'll get them to check the battery as well.

Again, many thanks, and much obliged,

Philip

My battery failed in 2019 it was the original fitted to the car in 2003 !!!! 

When they are fitting the radio they should disconnect the battery it is trick used by dealers to reset sticky faults 

Dave

Disconnecting the battery will hopefully do the trick. I'll ask the garage to read the codes anyway, just in case anything nasty is lurking there. I had a new ECU fitted four years ago, so that should still have some life left.

Thank you

• 2 weeks later...