X3 XDrive 35i (2011) brake light -- do I need more than pads?

Galen

Hi all... my (new to me) X3's brake warning light came on, about  25 mi (40 km) ago, and so I am trying to shop after market to get a price for pad replacement.  Is this a wise and economical move?  Do I need to have the rotors resurfaced always?  they look shiny, and I cannot "feel" any grooves by touch, but I'm not an expert.   While waiting for a local car care center to get back to me with pricing,  I called nearest BMW service department, and he basically started at worst case scenario (rotors are not thick enough, whole axle replacement) down to ~ $600 per axle for resurfacing and pad "slap".  I asked what was considered too thin for the rotors, and he responded that I could make an appt and for $100 they would tell me if they were thick enough or not. 

I'd really like to be economical here and don't really have a need for the BMW dealer service warranty that comes with doing it there.  

This auto was taken very good care of by previous owner who had all work done at a local service where he had his Mercedes serviced as well.  So going bak to the dealer for service at 120k mi. seems rather ludicrous.

So the Questions again are:

1.  Is resurfacing ALWAYS required?

2. About how much per axle ;should pads cost?

Thank you for indulging me, as I am a new BMW (with 4 wheels) owner.

Steven, who will be "seastones" as soon as my address is confirmed by bimmerownersclub.

'66 R50

Morning Steven (seastones)

Welcome to the Forum

Having owned several high end German cars I began to feel that their Dealers had a piece of software that extracted money when I drove past LOL

Being serious all Dealerships will be expensive (someone has to pay for the free coffee) but some are worse than others by not wanting to "repair" your car but just change expensive units at your cost.

A Diagnostic Scan will confirm most faults and most good Independent garages will have the facility

Brake pads you will find available online or from a good Motor Factor (you have Pelican Parts in the USA) and are the first step. Disc's will only normally need changing when there is a significant wear lip at the edge of the disc, if it's smooth I would suggest they are fine. So your Questions

1.  Is resurfacing ALWAYS required?     NO only if scoring is evident

2. About how much per axle ;should pads cost?     That will vary on source and quality I recently replaced the pads all around on my X5, rears were £45 (about $60) and made by Brembo they came with wear sensor and anti squeal paste. Brembo are a recognised upmarket Brake Manufacturer so are better than fine in my opinion.

Take a look at www.realoem.com It is an online BMW Parts List put the last 7 digits of your Vin number into the search box it will bring up your model the search the relevant section for the Part/part number you need (Pelican Parts will have the same facility)

Now you have the part number you know it will fit no matter who the supplier is.

Dave

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links