Rear Caliper

Stevie.C

Hey all. Recently purchased a 60 plate X1 23d and love it. Quite an exciting ride!

On to my problem. Shortly after buying, I noticed the mpg was low for what I'd expected. Then I was on the motorway and could feel a vibration through the car. Getting to the point, this vibration happened more at speed that just idling along but a couple of days back, I get out of the drivers door and could hear a clicking. Recognising the sound, I though of something getting too hot and walked past the rear wheel... which was giving off a lot of heat. Alloy had way more dust on than the others too. Hand towards the wheel it was too hot.

So I figure the caliper needs to be replaced but wanted to know if this was a garage job or could I do it? I have changed calipers before but never had BMW, so while the principle may be the same, are there any considerations I need to take account of?

Also, is it best to change both rears rather than just the one?

Thanks in advance.

Hi Steve

Welcome to the Forum

To answer your questions first whenever working on suspension or Brakes it is Good Practice to change both sides at the same time. Calipers or rebuild kits are available though my preference would be replacement callipers plenty available Ebay, Motor Factors etc 

The job is straight forward, Clamp the flexy disconnect brake pipe from the calliper, unbolt calliper bolt in new one reconnect the brake pipe unclamp the flexy and bleed making sure the system is topped up. Change sides and repeat.

Check www.realoem.com for part numbers for your car so you know stuff will fit 

Dave

1 hour ago, Greydog said:

Hi Steve

Welcome to the Forum

To answer your questions first whenever working on suspension or Brakes it is Good Practice to change both sides at the same time. Calipers or rebuild kits are available though my preference would be replacement callipers plenty available Ebay, Motor Factors etc 

The job is straight forward, Clamp the flexy disconnect brake pipe from the calliper, unbolt calliper bolt in new one reconnect the brake pipe unclamp the flexy and bleed making sure the system is topped up. Change sides and repeat.

Check www.realoem.com for part numbers for your car so you know stuff will fit 

Dave

Perfect, thank you.

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links