Fuel Additives

TCon

Hi everyone,

I'm curious to your opinion on the use of fuel additives in your BMW. As I am sure everyone knows BMW state on their fuel caps not to use fuel additives. But what do you do if you feel your injectors and other fuel components might be dirty. Also, why do you think they say not to use them and do you think they are right, or have you experience to say they are right? If you do use them, which one do you use?

What's your view?🤔

IMG_20210713_195808.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I've used miller's ecomax and sometimes added in two stroke oil in VW PD diesels, with some smoothing of its rougher running.

Not sure about the BMW, as they are a common rail.

I wouldn't have any issues chucking some miller's in there too though, it's just detergents like you'd get in say She'll V-power or whatever it's called these days, so unless BMW are saying don't use premium diesel, just use any old supermarket dregs, I can't see any issues unless you get the dosing wrong over a prolonged period.

I have tried the two stroke oil in other diesels and it does work but also I haven't tried it on a BMW. I have used Liqui Molly Super Diesel Additive recently in my BMW and it did a great job. I'm wondering  if anyone can tell me if I shouldn't use these and why? or alternatively someone may have being using these regularly for years with absolutely no ill effects. As you said, Shell V-power isn't frowned upon by BMW so why not use additives? 

Come on Tony BMW advise no additives to try and hopefully scare you into using "ONLY" BMW recommended Fuel, Oil. Coolant, Tyres and these of course should be purchased at the Dealer. If you don't of course your car will self destruct, you will get up one day and it will be a pile of bits on the drive 🤣

Only a couple of years back BMW told everyone their gearboxes were "sealed for life" yet the manufacturer says service every 80 to 100k km following some bad press BMW now sell service kits for the same sealed for life gearboxes (what sealed for life meant was End of Warranty) BMW now sell their Own Fuel Additives so kind of blows a hole in "No Additives" 

My brother inlaw uses injector cleaner 2 or 3 times a year, and always has. His current 535d Touring is around 150k it's serviced at the Dealership (to keep the history) but serviced elsewhere for interim oil changes etc he also uses oil additive in the engines. The beast is ECU tuned and runs around 380bhp it was tuned at 2k when he felt it had loosened up this is his 4th 530/535 all have run 200k + and he has not had any engine/drivetrain issues (though the last 2 have needed EGR work)

So my experience says when BMW make a statement the true translation is "Give Us Your Wallet"

Dave

"BMW advise no additives to try and hopefully scare you into using "ONLY" BMW recommended Fuel, Oil. Coolant, Tires and these of course should be purchased at the Dealer. If you don't of course your car will self destruct, you will get up one day and it will be a pile of bits on the drive"  🤣😂

"BMW told everyone their gearboxes were sealed for life" I have read the truth from ZF themselves. Also found an approved filter and oil from there site, with the instructions on the correct procedure to perform it too 😁

" BMW now sell their Own Fuel Additives"  I didn't know about that! Cheeky B*****DS

So what oil additives does your brother in-law use? I have my new oil and filter on order and seen as your brother in-law has done all the testing to back up the additives he used, I'd be very interested in hearing what he uses?

Hi Tony 

Well you know they sell additive now, but of course it is "Special" made from secret stuff that is why it is probably 3 times the price of anything else on the market 😂

Just rang the Bro inlaw, Wynnes Super Charge he uses it at every interim oil change and after service at BMW 

Some of the Dealers can have such an arrogant attitude, a few years back I rebuilt the suspension on the X5 front and rear, replaced as many bushes as I could with Poly Bushes and the rest with Meyle HD items. Car went into the Dealer for the airbag recall and while it was there they kindly give it a safety check, the service manager came back with a check sheet in his hand and said "You do know there are Non Standard parts fitted to your car Sir you could be risking your safety we can book it in" I asked him which parts were in his opinion unsafe? he showed me the list in his hand Subframe bushes, Diff Mount, Front Brake reaction arms inner swing arm bushes (all Poly Bushes). So I asked him why BMW used Poly Bushes on the BTCC cars if they were "un-safe" and pointed out that Meyle were in fact an OEM supplier to BMW. His answer was we will bring your car around. 😂

At three times the price it better be real unicorn farts! 😄

Wynnes Super Charge 🤔 gonna have a look for that now, Thanks.

So I asked him why BMW used Poly Bushes on the BTCC cars if they were "un-safe" and pointed out that Meyle were in fact an OEM supplier to BMW."  I love catching them out when they say silly things like that. They really do think we are all morons sometimes. 

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links