Things to look out for

Fez

Hi all, 

Hoping you can help. 

I’m looking for buy a 2018 520d touring with 81,000 miles on the clock. Full service history. I was just wondering if you could suggest anything to look out for when viewing?Or anything specific things I should ask the seller? 

Thanks in advance for any help:) 

Ben

Hi Ben

Welcome to the Forum

There were some well documented timing chain issues with the N47 engines at 2018 the car your looking at should be on the B47 which I believe came in either 221hp single turbo version or 228hp twin turbo. I haven't read any real nasties about the B47 engines so as long as it is well serviced and documented you should be good. My personal feeling is a lot of issues for many manufacturers have begun to occur with extended service intervals (I still change oil and filters at 5k intervals) 

Both Manual and Auto boxes are tough but both should have fluid and filter changes at regular intervals look for evidence in the history.  

Check the inside edges of rear tyres if there is wear then it point to rear suspension bushes needing replacement not a horrendous job and well within the scope of a competent home mechanic. But a good negotiation point when talking price.

Everything inside should work, make sure it does don't accept any "aircon just needs a re-gas" or "you can get a replacement on Ebay for £10" excuses if it were that simple why hasn't it been done? If you still like the car it's also more ammunition for reducing the price.

My brother inlaw runs BMW 5 series Touring he loves them he is on his 4th now, his have all been the 3.0d engine but the general car is the same he travels extensively in Europe and all have been run to around 250k current one is around 150k 

Good Luck with the Hunt

Dave

• Thanks 1

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links