Front end vibration

Emmo

My car has developed a slight vibration coming from the front, if my steering wheel was moving from side to side I'd say it was wheel balancing but it's not - can it still be wheel balancing without the steering wheel movement, I'm not sure? The vibration feels as if you are travelling over an uneven road surface, akin to when you drive over road works which hasn't had the top coat of tarmac added, lots of ridges etc, but not as pronounced if you get my meaning. It only happens after around 50mph and gets faster as the car increases speed.

I've looked at the wheels as best I can both inside and outside rims and they look ok. Any help on the best course of action would be greatly received.

Martin

Morning Martin

Loads of questions

1. Does the vibration occur at a set road speed or is it constant?

2. Does it occur when slowing down ?

3. When were the brakes last checked ?

4. How many miles on the clock ?

5. Have the front suspension bushes been checked ? Tip check all bushes front and rear

6. Are the tyres original or have they been replaced ?

Dave

Hi Dave

1. It seems to start around 50mph and then worsen the faster I go, but seems to peak at 70mph (doesn't get any worse).

2. Yes, until the car gets to below 50pmh.

3. Had new pads and discs about 12 months ago.

4. 50,000

5. No.

6. Replaced. I got rid of run flats and replaced with conventional tyres.

Thanks, Martin.

Hi Martin

As it is speed related 50 to 70 I would look at 2 items 

First Tyres have they been fitted correctly is one out of round? I would jack up the car and spin the wheel. Viewed from the side is it round? Viewed from in front does it run true ?

Next the Brakes it could well be a warped disc same basic test. Put a pointer just touching the surface of the disc and spin it 

I take it wheel bearings are OK

Dave

Hi Dave

Thanks for your suggestions. I think it might be worth taking it into a tyre place to check all wheels and tyres. I have a trolley jack, but as my years progress I don't have much confidence in my abilities and the arthritis in both knees doesn't help either!

I'll let you know how I get on.

Regards, Martin

Good morning Dave

I took my car in yesterday and had the front wheels and tyres checked over. They were both out of balance quite a bit but unfortunately it hasn't cured the problem.

I saw a YouTube video last night by a British guy (apparently a BMW expert) talking about wheel wobble and shimmy which balancing the wheels on the machines garages use doesn't show up. He said to increase the tyre pressure all round to 42psi and demonstrated it as a cure. This pressure seems a bit hight to me (all mine are around 33psi), do you think it's worth a try?

Regards, Martin

Morning Martin

In the vibration in the steering or do you feel it more in the seat/car. I would get the rear tyres checked as well, if you had a front out of balance there is a good chance rear also are out. My son who is a tree surgeon often takes his pick up to a "hand car wash" twice he has had out of balance issues turns out the boys with the jet washers have actually knocked weights off!!

In my experience tyre pressure can have an effect but with the x5 it is more tyre wear than balance (I run 36psi (2.5bar) There is a chart on the drivers door panel that gives tyre pressure for differing loads. Worth a try

Dave

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/30/2021 at 11:56 AM, Emmo said:

Hi Dave

1. It seems to start around 50mph and then worsen the faster I go, but seems to peak at 70mph (doesn't get any worse).

2. Yes, until the car gets to below 50pmh.

3. Had new pads and discs about 12 months ago.

4. 50,000

5. No.

6. Replaced. I got rid of run flats and replaced with conventional tyres.

Thanks, Martin.

Hi.

if the tyres were checked and are okay, then check all wheels for balance.

Not ALL tyre garages do this well - old machines; failing to addd weights on the inside of the rim, etc., so may be worth trying a different garage.

• 2 weeks later...

If the vibration is in the steering wheel it is normally the front wheels needing balancing. If the car is vibrating it is usually the rears. Fronts would normally vibrate at 30mph so I would put money on it being the rears.

The problem was a simple one fortunately. It was a bulge in a rear tyre, a blow out when trying to put air in it revealed the problem. Thanks for all the help received.

Martin