F40 M135 Brake Issues

AndrewF

Hi, first time on here but really hope someone who knows more than me can help me out! Purchased a M135 F40 July 2020. Started to notice a really bad noise when reversing and applying the brakes. I took the car back to the dealership twice and they said they couldn’t find a fault but the discs and pads were down to 6mm and burnt and corroded front and back. Car has only done 4000 miles which is all work commute. BMW advised them to re glaze the brakes but wouldn’t do any more. This did not solve the issue and the first video shows the problem. Car was returned again and BMW agreed to replace the pads, discs & callipers as all of a sudden they noticed the original callipers weren’t releasing and the pads were stuck. This has stopped the noise now when reversing. However they did not touch the front brakes as they said they couldn’t find a fault. I have driven the car 10 miles in wet weather when I noticed the front brakes are smoking and give off a burning smell. You can see this in the second video. In dry conditions you can just smell them and hear them when you exit the car. The brakes also feel terrible after motorway driving. BMW are saying this is normal with performance breaks but with the corrosion, burn marks and how much they have worn I just don’t believe them. I am not a heavy breaker and even the dealership are saying it’s not driver profile but BMW UK won’t budge. 

Morning Andrew

Welcome to the Forum

I would not be happy with the total BS from your Dealer, the symptoms you describe carry all the hall marks of sticking/binding callipers. Overheating brakes can lead to warped discs or worse damaged wheel bearings due to excess heat.

As the car is so new I would be asking the MD of the dealership (not the Service Manager) in writing/Email how he intends to resolve the issue to your satisfaction. As the vehicle in it's current condition is totally unsuitable for purpose, under the Sale of Goods Act you could demand either your money back or a complete replacement. Don't be shy about telling him that also copy BMW UK Customer services in writing/Email. 

They may well huff and puff but stand your ground FIX IT, REPLACE IT, or MONEY BACK in FULL simple choice. They will try the fix it option first as it is the cheapest when they offer a "Courtesy" car make sure it is of equal quality to yours. Depending on how you feel you would be within your rights to reject repair on the grounds that you have no faith in  Dealerships ability to diagnose and to a satisfactory standard. No new car should be supplied with rusty inefficient  brakes in particular a BMW performance model

Dave

Thanks for the reply Dave. The whole situation is so frustrating. They have had the car for a total of 6 weeks since February and in that time only changed the rear callipers and brakes after I sent them the video when they said they couldn’t find a issue with them.

I didn’t believe for one minute that the smoking front brakes were normal as they put it. Dread to think how the brakes would perform if I was to spend any significant time on a motorway. Makes me not want to drive the car. 

Andy

Hi Andy

Just put your hand carefully on the wheel centre when they are hot that is not normal. Something is binding/rubbing that shouldn't be.

An almost £40k car and this year the Dealer has had it almost as long as you have this year that just isn't right. 

Good Luck 

Dave

• 6 months later...

Hi

I'm experiencing the same issue with the nasty sound when braking and reversing. My car has been to the dealer 4 times and each time they say they cant diagnose because it doesn't make the sound when its with them. I've also taken a video and shown it to them but still nothing. I don't have an issue with burning breaks though. 

I'm made a complaint to BMW UK and am now waiting for their response. Incredibly frustrating! Any advice??

Hi Munieb

Welcome to the Forum

Check the Sale of Goods Act 1079 and it's amendments in 2015. You have more power than you realise. If you are leasing the car have you imformed the lease company, or Hire Purchase company.

I would put everything in writing be careful to get the time frame  itemised as in, when you first noticed it, when you first reported it and the result after each Dealer Visit.

Use phrases like "time is now of the essence" to get a resolution, or "in it's current condition the car is unsuitable for purpose" 

Send your letter by Email and snail mail to the Dealer MD and copy BMW UK customer services tell them the car as it is is dangerous

Goo luck 

Dave