The 1M Flywheel fitted to the N55 335i

Adam-M

Does anyone know if the lighter flywheel from the 1M will fit the N55 335i Looking at ECS tuning, the fitment looks the same. Here are the links...

1M Flywheel:
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...l/21207619659/

N55 335i Flywheel:
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...l/21207640733/

I've scoured the forums but can't find anyone who's had success. I understand it won't fit the older n54 335i but can't find anyone talking about it on the n55.

Hi Adam

As they both run the N55 engine I would think the flywheel is the same dual mass unit. Have you checked www.realoem.com put the last 7 digits of your Vin in the search box it will bring up your model.

Find the flywheel (engine section) then double click the part number and a list of other models it was used in will be shown, if the 1m is there then you will know for sure. Even if ECS lighten their flywheels I would guess they start with an original/pattern part that they lighten and balance so location pins and bolt pattern will be OEM 

Hope this helps

Dave

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the RealOEM tip. The flywheels are different... The 1M is an N54, but uses the N55 gearbox with a lightened flywheel which is unique to the 1M. They seem to share the same 6 bolt fitment and the clutch pilot bearing part numbers are the same so I believe they're interchangeable. I'm hoping someone here might have tried and be able to confirm.

Thanks 
Adam

Morning Adam

The last manual car I worked on was my wife's 1600E in the mid 1980's, the last I owned and drove was a Lotus Carlton in 1992 !! So not had to think much about manual set ups for a lot of years.

May be it's the crank boss that is a different diameter? Though if it is the 6 bolt pattern I wouldn't have thought so. Have you contacted companies like Advan (from down under) they have a strong reputation with BMW and may be able to give you advice or a steer in the right direction. 

If this is part of other upgrades it depends what you are trying to achieve, a lightened fly wheel won't give more power it will rev a little quicker (but then I may be teaching granny) They can also have down sides with lumpy tick over etc.

Or may be you have already upgraded to colder plugs and coils, fitted a better intercooler and air intake and have an ECU upgrade with competition downpipes and Cats to aid exhaust. In which case you should be close to 400+ hp (Alpina Spec) 

Dave