Towing with E91 325i M Sport ?

rollupandshine

Not, and never have been, a caravan owner but as far as I am aware, it all depends on how you load the caravan as regards weight distribution front to rear.

There are recommendations available for how much weight you actually load onto the car / towing bracket and there are also limits on the weight of the entire caravan (and it's contents).

Providing you stick to the overall weight limit and then load the caravan in a balanced way, there shouldn't be a problem.

Hope this helps, but you will need to do your own detailed research into the limits.

John

Morning Andy 

I tow quite a bit, not a caravan but 2 fat horses in a trailer (great having a wife with a hobby !!) as John said in his response 1st check the towing capacity for your car/model/year my guess would be 700kgs un-braked 1500kgs braked but that isn't all you need to consider there is also the "nose weight" (the load on the Tow ball). Also don't just buy a 1500kg Van and then load it up with all your kit for an adventure week away, you will be overloaded and may run into issues with insurance/law if the worst happens. 

As John says do your research there is plenty of information on line, with regard to "Nose Weight" don't buy any fancy bits of kit to check a piece of wood cut to length and bathroom scales work for us, yes still needed when Wifey loads water and hay in the front of the trailer?? There should be some weight on the ball but not to much and you definitely don't want it lifting the ball.

Google is your friend

Dave

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 3/19/2021 at 5:40 PM, rollupandshine said:

Hi all

Has anyone on here towed a caravan with an E91 M Sport?

My missus wants to get a caravan but I'm thinking the car is too low and will be on its backside with a caravan on it

thoughts?

Hi.

I have towed extensively with a caravan on a E91 330d and on two F31 330d’s.

You are limited to 75kg nose weight for the tow bar assembly, which is more difficult to accommodate with the larger, modern caravans. Don’t be tempted to add something heavy to the back to bring the nose weight down as this can cause “dumbelling” (swinging).

1200kg vans are the heaviest I have towed with the cars, and the E91/F31 pull them with ease.