Engine swap

Hello. Apologies in advance. I cant seem to find information on any difficulties of replacing a 320d engine with a 330d. Has this been done... Can this be done and if so are there any issues or problems during or after install. 

Again apologies as this has probably been discussed many times. If anyone could provide information where I could find the information that would also be greatly appreciated.

TIA.

Hi Paul

Welcome to the Forum

Not seen this done but it should be possible but I can think of loads of parts that will be needing upgrading.

The straight 6 is heavier than the 4 pot

So would need uprated Suspension, Brakes, will the steering column be affected? Engine management, fuel system and pumps,

Will the gearbox cope with the additional torque? Will the Diff ?? 

Then the new DDE will need convincing to work with the other stuff in the car, interesting project but I don't think straight forward

Dave

Morning Paul

Is your engine broken ? or are you looking for more power ?

If your current engine is in good condition an ECU Remap will give a considerable increase without any pain (well a little to your wallet)

From memory the power output of the 2012 motor is similar to yours and you would still have all the fun of convincing everything to work together.

Dave

Good morning Dave. No I have just purchased a high mileage E92. At some point it may need an engine rebuild or swap plus timing chain water pump etc. Just looking for optons to what I can and can't do with her.

Hi Paul

What is high mileage?

One of our sons friends runs a 320d touring 2006 vintage it has an uprated intercooler and pipercross air filter EGR and Swirl flaps deleted and an ECU Remap he doesn't have a garage (flat dweller) so he and my son use "Dads" garage to do oil and filter changes use up my polish and other stuff, they do restock the beer fridge though. If anything his car is over maintained (but better that than none) his car has 270k + on the clock and around 220hp and 500nm torque very quick mid range and still 40+ mpg on a run. 

Dave

As long as it has a good history and no obvious issues "smoke, rattles, leaks" etc you should be OK. Auto or Manual ? Make sure all the switches and buttons work and do what they should, don't believe "aircon needs a regas stories" try and budget for suspension bushes.

Dave