2006 BMW 325xi

p38fln

We're finally getting the BMW 328i that some idiot ran into replaced with a 2006 BMW 325xi.  It's got a few very minor issues, but I'm getting it anyway.

Something is draining the battery overnight, it's completely dead in the mornings.  

Someone ejected the Nav DVD at some point, the Nav screen says "Missing Navigation DVD" 

Slightly less horsepower than the 328i that we lost two years ago, but as far as I can tell the engine is identical correct?  (Google says they're both N52B30)

And of course, no M-Sport package so I don't get paddle shifters this time around 

Morning Eric

Plus you will have AWD 

How old is the battery? is it correct for the car? would be my starting point if the battery tests OK does the car go to sleep? 

If it does then I would use a multi meter to measure the drain then pull fuses one at a time until I found the culprit. Once identified decision on whether to replace or repair can be made

Good luck with the new car

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Yes the AWD is nice, tried it out on the snow already. 

the used car dealer said he replaced the battery and alternator to try and fix the problem but still couldn’t figure it out, and the car won’t start unless the IBS is disconnected. 

he told me he knows next to nothing about BMWs, and didn’t reset the battery but it was doing this before he swapped it out.

its also got only one set of “eyebrow” lights working on the right side, the left side is out totally. 

He wanted to keep it until it was fixed properly but I thought I could track down the electrical gremlins as easily as he could and it drives great.

I found some North America nav dvds on eBay for $20, hopefully they work. 

sunroof is insane too, it won’t shut unless you tap the close button. Otherwise it stops just before it shuts and opens back up. 

left mirror folds all the way out when the power fold button is pressed, and the windshield wash does absolutely nothing.  I haven’t checked that at all, other than confirming nothing happens when the wash button is pushed.   

All minor problems, whoever had the car must have never had it repaired.  

Edited by p38fln
Windshield washer

Morning Eric

My first piece of advice is invest in some Diagnostic software or equipment that will read the BMW codes, I use PA Soft BMW 1.4.0 on an old Laptop I also have INPA/ISTA on the same laptop. There are several others these days I have read iCarsoft, Autologic work well and Carly for BMW (though that is a subscription program)

Good diagnostics will narrow issues right down quickly, your mirror issue may well be down to just the micro switch inside the mirror if 1 mirror is affected neither will work correctly. The micro switch is located by a small plastic tag and a screw the tag breaks and the switch moves super glue works crude but effective. Plenty of information on the net.

Use www.realoem.com to find part numbers when buying replacement parts 

Good luck

Dave