New E39 member slowing down!

neile39

Hello all. Having had a few years with various toys I now seem to be gradually going slower B) My progression has gone as follows: Westfield SeiW, Caterham Supersprint, Caterham Supersport, Lotus Elise S1, Nissan 350Z, Jaguar XK8 and now.......... an E39 520i SE auto! I haven't ruled out something less sensible in the future but I bought the E39 on a whim purely due to it's very low mileage (53k), single previous owner and service history. Yes it's not the fastest car in the world but I can see why E39s were so highly rated at the time. It's incredibly well made and silky smooth - in fact everything feels as if the engineers soaked all the components in double cream :P I've had it for two years - every time I think about getting rid of it, I talk myself out of it again, even though it's at the less desirable end of the model range. I'm kind of running it like a classic car now, just keeping everything standard, regular maintenance, polishing etc. Having said this my eyes keep being drawn to an Alpina B10............bigger pockets needed. Neil.

•  

22 minutes ago, Bimmer Owners Club said:

Hi Neil

Welcome to the Forum

You certainly had a great history of car ownership, some lovely machines in there.

Our very own Greydog also has a pretty impressive historical list of previously owned iron

Good to have you onboard

Thank you. Just had a look at Greydog's list of "previous". His Horsepower total puts mine to shame 😁

Welcome Neil

My list of previous started in 1962 with a 1075s that soon got stretched to 1275 (The A series engines just wore out fast 😈) and between that and the Volvo era are a long list of "I should have kept that" car

Your own list shows your a man who understands "power to weight"  

Enjoy 

Dave

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Greydog said:

Welcome Neil

My list of previous started in 1962 with a 1075s that soon got stretched to 1275 (The A series engines just wore out fast 😈) and between that and the Volvo era are a long list of "I should have kept that" car

Enjoy 

Dave

Thanks Dave. I was into "just add lightness", including a 2CV at one point, but now I seem to have gone gradually lardy (not just the cars) 🤪 If I could get another 7 I would do so (I miss them more than anything else) but my budget has become the limiting factor over recent times. So, frankly, my lower end but very nice E39 was the best I could do with the money - it was either that or a very leggy Skyline 350GT import. There is a very big price gap between the 520i and the 530i and above. The cunning master plan involves me investing in the lottery. My list of previous started with a 1958 Standard 10 - envious or what! My other 38 cars include some absolute dogs of the first order. I just get bored easily and always come up with some amazing (and hugely credible) justification for changing 😇

Hi Neil

Fortunately I have I have kept the Chancellor on side by her car being "special" the first was a 1600e with a Burton 1760 engine she also had T5s all chipped. Her current car is a 3.0 Subaru Outback with a Perrin engine 

So changing cars has never been an issue 😁

For looks/power/economy I don't think you can beat modern diesels (mid 90's on) my brother inlaw runs 530d touring he has had 4 current is 535d favour. All have been solid mechanically all have been ECU tuned seriously quick in the mid range and return 40+ mpg the 535 has 300hp and 800nm of torque. Not much lives with it from 40 mph onwards but still 40+ mpg

Our middle son has just brought a 325d touring for £2k j56k miles but in great nick with 190hp making it very quick but economical. When I asked him what made him choose the Beemer he said "you have all the kit to fix it Dad and you run on Beer not money 😅

Dave,

Your son definitely has the right idea.

800nm of torque would certainly fall into the category of "adequate" 😎 

Burton engines - now that takes me back. My Caterham Supersprint had a 1700 X-Flow with the 711M block, twin 40s etc etc - only about 135 bhp but the best bit was the induction noise and the flames and banging on the overrun - not necessarily the peak of efficiency but a lot of fun at around 550kg. The thing I miss about the 7s is just the "feeling" -it's certainly not about top speed as they have the aerodynamics of a brick.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/22/2021 at 3:46 PM, Greydog said:

Welcome Neil

Enjoy 

Dave

Wow! I was born in 1962. My older brothers had a Vauxhall Cresta and a Hillman Imp. The latter had a rear window sticker declaring "Running in, Please Pass".

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SuzukiBoy2 said:

Wow! I was born in 1962. My older brothers had a Vauxhall Cresta and a Hillman Imp. The latter had a rear window sticker declaring "Running in, Please Pass".

Vauxhall Cresta and the Hillman Imp. Those were the days 🤣 - the ones where it was a 50/50 gamble whether your car would start 🤪 Having said that they were the height of sophistication compared to my Grandfather's Morris 8.

Just now, neile39 said:

Vauxhall Cresta and the Hillman Imp. Those were the days 🤣 - the ones where it was a 50/50 gamble whether your car would start 🤪 Having said that they were the height of sophistication compared to my Grandfather's Morris 8.

My dad had a 1600E MK2 Cortina. Always kept it so clean. He died when I was 14 and at the time we lived in Wales. My mum wanted to come back to her family so we moved. We left that car in the garage. I pleaded with mum to try and sell it but she just said it wasn't worth much!.....Funny thing is I can still remember the reg no. KBL 820D

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, SuzukiBoy2 said:

My dad had a 1600E MK2 Cortina. Always kept it so clean. He died when I was 14 and at the time we lived in Wales. My mum wanted to come back to her family so we moved. We left that car in the garage. I pleaded with mum to try and sell it but she just said it wasn't worth much!.....Funny thing is I can still remember the reg no. KBL 820D

Would be worth a lot now!

hi i have e39 535i v8 on lpg 200 model all new suspension,gearbox recond with warranty on it,new radiator,water pump,thermostat,all new sensors fitted m62 engine,mot done feb runs like new has done 149000 mls ,but you would not no got slight rust normal spots on wheel arches need slight attension,have spent thousands on it, gear box done at mackies glasgow, lpg is only 55penc a ltr .selling because of health issuse looking for 3.500. pounds  ono,