Lower tailgate fault 2011 model

Topshots

My 2011 X5 started with an intermittent power tailgate failure recently. Followed various threads and removed the electronic module, drained a couple of inches of water from wheel arch well, dried it with a hair dryer. No effect. Though now the cockpit warning panel shows a lower tailgate failure warning, may have shown that before but I didn’t see it. On occasion in the past, if the lower tailgate wasn’t engaged properly, the hatch won’t close, it had to be closed firmly before it would automatically close. I’m guessing that there’s some micro switch or other now that has failed. All fuses are intact. Anybody with any experience with this sort of problem and advice? 

Morning Andrew

First as you have described water ingress finding the cause of the water getting in would be my starting point as any fix is likely to suffer the same fate as soon as it rains again.

My 4.4 X5 suffered from water getting in around the rear lamp units took a while to find but the fix was silicon sealant when refitting. I had ha repeated PDC failures plus a Radio failure all due to water damage. 

Check the roof drains are clear all seals are good. If you are not aware look at www.realoem.com the small exploded drawings will give clues to where stuff is fitted and part numbers if replacement is needed.

Good luck

Dave

54 minutes ago, Greydog said:

Morning Andrew

First as you have described water ingress finding the cause of the water getting in would be my starting point as any fix is likely to suffer the same fate as soon as it rains again.

My 4.4 X5 suffered from water getting in around the rear lamp units took a while to find but the fix was silicon sealant when refitting. I had ha repeated PDC failures plus a Radio failure all due to water damage. 

Check the roof drains are clear all seals are good. If you are not aware look at www.realoem.com the small exploded drawings will give clues to where stuff is fitted and part numbers if replacement is needed.

Good luck

Dave

Thanks Dave. I’ve checked the roof drains are clear. I think the lights are most likely as they have condensation in them. However this doesn’t answer the tailgate warning on the dash? As it began as an intermittent problem and knowing the lower tailgate must be firmly and securely closed before the hatch will work, I’m still thinking it’s a lower tailgate electrical problem, especially as if you give it a firm close, there is an audible “bing” sound inside. Looks quite a puzzle to remove the lights. One rear fog needs replacing anyway. Any further thought would be most welcome.

Andrew 

Morning Andrew

Check realoem the drawings will give clues as to how the trim panels come off, to allow you to get to the lights. with the lower tailgate there are locks each side if water has got into the loom you could well have corrosion on the connections or just a sticking lock one side. 

Bit of detective work when the weather is warmer and dryer 

Dave

Hi Andrew

The 2 attached drawings upper and lower tailgate are both from www.realoem.com 

Put the last 7 digits of your Vin number into the search box it will bring up your model (not sure if the drawings below are for your exact model) the site is a BMW online parts list. The small drawings help identify what goes where in the drawing below on the right you can see the lower tailgate and it's locking mechanism 

TRUNK LID   TRUNK LID, BOTTOM

Dave

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links