1 series Diesel town driving

LAUJEN

Hi, I currently have a 325i petrol which before the pandemic I used to really only use at weekends as I work in London and travel by train every day. Circumstances have now changed and even when this virus is under control I am likely to continue working from home 3 days a week but... I will take my wife to work first each morning which is just 3 to 4 miles away. I have been looking at getting something more economical and tax friendly as my 325 is £30 per month road tax. I like the look of the 1 series and much more choice and economy with diesel models but I have read reviews that you shouldn't drive diesel if you are just making short journeys because of the dpf. I have a budget of around £7k so 2011 to 2014 models. Can anyone advise if they use diesel for day to day town driving and is this OK? 

Thanks 

Martin 

Hi Martin

If the round trip is less than 10 miles, I would stay away from diesel. It's not just the DPF, diesel engines take longer to warm up so on a cold day, it will hardly get warm before you get home ! Consumption also will be poor so not economic at all !

Hope this helps.

Thank you for that advice. It seems strange though that road tax on a 2014 diesel 1 series for example can be as low as £30 a year whereas a petrol version is about £150 a year (going by auto trader sales) 

19 hours ago, SilverJohn said:

Hi Martin

If the round trip is less than 10 miles, I would stay away from diesel. It's not just the DPF, diesel engines take longer to warm up so on a cold day, it will hardly get warm before you get home ! Consumption also will be poor so not economic at all !

Hope this helps.

Just another point. There seems to be so many people driving diesels around town in the mornings especially 4 x4 s on school trips etc. So are there lots of people heading for problems down the line? 

Hi Martin

Modern diesels as has been said are not happy with short journeys, there will be increased fuel consumption as the EGR clogs and the DPF will not regenerate due to never reaching a high enough temperature. 

So a lot of the folks you see in the mornings will without doubt have issues and most will not have a clue why just complain about the bills. It scares me how ignorant a lot of people are about their cars, some don't even know where the bonnet release is !! 

My youngest son is a tree surgeon and runs a Toyota Pickup Diesel, 90% of his journeys are local 10 maybe 15 miles. he had many issues then the service manager at the Toyota dealer changed. The new guy said a couple of times a month give it a good blast on the motorway that ensures the DPF regenerates the EGR he cleans a couple of times a year. His truck is a 2.2 diesel his average mpg is 31 which isn't to bad for a big 4x4 which is often towing a chipper he has had this one 4 years and it's covered 79k.

The newer 1 series petrol engines are very economical and worth considering dont know why they attract higher road tax though

Dave 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Dave. My neighbour has just part ex his 1 series diesel for a 5 series gt diesel. He says he only really uses his for school trips etc and has never had any problems. My next door neighbour who restores classic cars said he always buys high mileage diesel cars because they are a good deal and he said diesel engines are so reliable. My mechanics wife also drives 56 vw golf diesel. Very confusing with all these votes for diesel. They also say they are more fun to drive than petrol. More torque? 

Hi Martin

For every Yay there will be a Nay.

The simple fact today is modern/new Diesel engines are very complicated mainly by the emission control systems which are where short journeys take their toll. The same is true of modern petrol engines which today have similar emission controls they just clog less as they produce less soot. 

Not opinion just science and fact, think about it the air filter on the engine, it is there to make sure the air entering the engine is as clean as possible. The filter is changed at service because it clogs, for an efficient engine keep it clean. 

Inside the engine after the fuel is burnt it carries all sorts bits into the exhaust some carbon some soot some unburnt fuel and oily deposits, the EGR (exhaust gas recirculation) recycles some of these gasses so they are re-burnt. Helping to reduce emissions in Petrol and Diesel engines, diesel by the nature of the fuel also produces soot and oily deposits which at low operating temperatures tend to start to clog the system over time giving issues. The DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter) is there to further clean the emissions (new petrol engines also have a DPF system) due to the amount of particulates that escape the EGR system. The DPF is a filter so like the air filter eventually becomes clogged, unlike the air filter changing it is not practical. The DPF therefore has a regeneration cycle where it reaches incredibly high temperatures to burn the particles trapped in it. Short journeys don't allow the engine or DPF to reach temperatures where it can regenerate.

Not opinion not hearsay but scientific fact.

All modern engines will produce excellent MPG figures combined with low emissions but only if the emission control systems are working correctly and maintained at a high standard. 

Me I stick with my big V8 it will see me out and my neighbours will never think I came home in a Taxi 😁