Satnav firmware update

Hippo61

Hi all.  Newby asking for help, probably not for the last time!

I have a 2005 4.8iS which has covered 33000 miles in it's life. I recently had the gearbox software upgraded by Autotech Performance in Telford (an excellent place to take your cars by the way) but we have a problem. There is apparently a disparity in the SATNAV (MkIV) firmware that is in conflict with the gearbox which manifests as my display screen in the main instrument cluster speaking French! (e.g Seatbelt, Lights on etc).

We believe an update to the firmware on the Satnav will fix the issue as Autotech tested this theory by using a Satnav unit from a similar aged car was known to have been upgraded.  Problem is we don't have the disc.

Can anyone help? Is it downloadable? DOes anyone have a disc I could buy or get a copy of?

Any help gratefully received. 

Hi Lester

Welcome to the Forum

There shouldn't be a conflict with Gearbox Software more likely just needs a reset. have you tried, 

Select SET in bottom left corner .
This opens up a menu starting with MPG reset .
If you then scroll all the way to the bottom , it'll 'turn' to a new page which has
SCREEN , CLOCK , DATE , NAVI VOLUME , COLOUR SET and lastly at the bottom
LANGUAGE .
Press the volume button to enter and then scroll across to English .

The last version of software for the E53 was V32 and I would expect a 2005 model to be running that already. It is well known that BMW's Nav system can be upset by copied or non standard discs. So first question is the disc genuine BMW if it isn't try disabling TP in settings

Iwill dig back through my library and send more that may help

Dave

Thank you for your reply. I believe Autotech tried to reset it using the diagnostic equipment they have, the option for English is there but will not select. I will try it your way and advise. 

Hi Lester

I've used www.Satnavupgrades.co.uk a number of times with a 100% success rate for map updates.

The guy there, Rusty, is very knowledgeable about numerous SatNav systems, not only for BMW but other makes as well.

Could be worth a phone call at least.

Hope this helps.

John

Morning Lester

Sounds like you may have a non factory navigation disc - if nav is fitted - and that will change the language if the speed camera function is turned off.  It's a 'feature' of the non original discs.  Otherwise it is under the 'Set' option.

So as above check your Nav disc and in settings check if you have a Speed Camera setting, if you do it is non OEM try either turning Speed Camera Off or ON

Dave

I have 2 discs. First is labelled NAVI software System 1:8.0 / Mk2 System / Mk3 Top 6.3/ Mk 3 Rad 5.1

2nd Map disk 2019 High. Discs came with car but look as if they are copies.

Tried reinstalling it, option for language came up, but no change. No speed camera function. No SET option. No language option on screen

I understand I need the install disc for Mk IV from what Autotech are telling me.

I will try the satnavupgrades company

Thank you both for your assistance.

Hi Lester

From the description of your discs with the car Mk2 and M3 ? The Mk3 system was CD based the Mk4 DVD based (which should be the one in your car) does the player have DVD on the front? The software came on a CD from memory.

Don't want to rain on your parade Google and read the information about the BMW Mk4 DVD Nav system it does not like non standard discs or copied discs, there are many instances of erratic operation even damaged readers after using non original disc's.

My 4.6is has the OEM Mk4 DVD system got the car in 2007 the Nav was always "tempremental" then I got the Blue screen and less functions a sign that the Nav is down. Diagnosis confirmed the DVD reader head caput. I found the reader on Ebay (not cheap but cheaper than a replacement unit) stripped the unit replaced the reader and back in business. 2 years and it started to show signs of failing again again, this time I brought a cheap OEM disc from Ebay ran a head cleaner and swapped the discs, all back and running that was 2010 still all good. 

HI. Allegedly my system is a MK IV, I wonder if the discs I have are correct. But I'll try the new ones when they arrive and update this thread.  TBH I usually use my phone for Nav these days (WAZE), it's just the language issue that started this process off.