E34 Instrument Cluster

bwayeast

I have a 1993 E34 Touring.  Instrument cluster isnt working.  I understand that these are coded to the car so I'm in search of somebody that can repair it OR advise on how the coding issue is overcome if I source a replacement cluster.  Thanks in advance

bm1.jpg

Hi Jon

Welcome to the Forum

Have you talked to ECU Testing or BBA Reman who have been doing this type of repair for years, you could try Cartronix as well.

I'm not certain with your car, but normally mileage and vin are stored in 2 places the IKE/Instrument cluster and the LCM (light control module) if either are changed and not reprogrammed you get a "tamper" dot by the mileage display. If reprogramming you cant reduce the mileage in either module or again you will get a tamper dot. You can get anyone with Inpa/Ista or BMW 1.4.0 to reprogram the units to the car it needs the Vin and miles in the replacement unit changing to match your vehicles LCM and all should be good, no tamper dot. So if you can't get yours repaired a replacement with lower mileage preferably can be used. If you are not worried about the mileage and the replacement has higher miles your LCM can be coded to the IKE. Or simply live with the tamper dot though I don't know if this would cause any issues at MOT time

Dave

On 1/16/2021 at 3:01 PM, Greydog said:

Hi Jon

Welcome to the Forum

Have you talked to ECU Testing or BBA Reman who have been doing this type of repair for years, you could try Cartronix as well.

I'm not certain with your car, but normally mileage and vin are stored in 2 places the IKE/Instrument cluster and the LCM (light control module) if either are changed and not reprogrammed you get a "tamper" dot by the mileage display. If reprogramming you cant reduce the mileage in either module or again you will get a tamper dot. You can get anyone with Inpa/Ista or BMW 1.4.0 to reprogram the units to the car it needs the Vin and miles in the replacement unit changing to match your vehicles LCM and all should be good, no tamper dot. So if you can't get yours repaired a replacement with lower mileage preferably can be used. If you are not worried about the mileage and the replacement has higher miles your LCM can be coded to the IKE. Or simply live with the tamper dot though I don't know if this would cause any issues at MOT time

Dave

👍Thanks Dave - really useful - I will look up those suggestions

• 1 year later...