New E46 owner with a question...

ScottyR81

Hi,

I'm a new member of the E46 fold, bought myself an '05 330ci m sport convertible for when the weather improves. But in the meantime I want to change a few bits on it... firstly the suspension, it's so low my ##### is practically scraping the tarmac so I want to raise it back up, what's a good ride height for these? Standard or a little lower than standard?

Also maybe it's because my daily runner is only 18months old but when I open the drivers door, only this one unlocks, shouldn't the passenger door unlock too? 

And finally the mirrors, the day I test drove the car they didn't adjust, the seller changed the switch and the day I collected the car they worked but from then on no more? Is this a simple/known fault?

Thanks in advance for all your help 

Morning Scott

Welcome to the Forum

Great choice of car with what is one of the worlds great engines, however as you are discovering people can't resist "Modding" them. Suspension wheels and tyres are the normal that often results in a lowered car on big wheels with low profile tyres which equals a bone jarring ride (I have 2 sons both have been there and done that)

If it were me I would return to standard set up as the E46 was well known for it's ride and handling. With luck whoever lowered it just changed the springs, or possibly a coil over kit where all you need to do is buy new standard springs M3 if you want a little lower and stiffer (lets be realistic as the M3 was and has been a bench mark for ride and handling)

With the locking BMW applied a system to try and prevent theft/hijacking, one push on the unlock button drivers door, two pushes all doors when you drive off the doors will lock automatically. These settings can be changed quite simply if you have access to a diagnostic program like INPA/ISTA or BMW 1.4.0 there are many others Carly (subscription) Autologic etc etc. I use BMW 1.4.0 on an old lap top cost when I brought it was about a tenner not much more expensive now.

Sounds like there could well be a fault with your mirrors this is where the diagnostic program saves you a lot of pain. I run a scan once a month (my X5 is getting on like me) the last one tells me I have faults with the AUC Sensor (PITA) but doesn't affect running, Drivers door mirror heater broken wire, and PDC centre rear sensor. So if you can get a scan done maybe a member with a program near you I am in Sussex or a friend with a Garage it will help in identifying what the mirror fault is, otherwise it's a process of testing with a multimeter

Hope this Helps

Dave

• 1 month later...

I had this happen to my mirrors recently. I gave them a gentle dose of WD40 behind the mirror & they have been fine for 3 weeks now. I only tried this because an indy garage mechanic told me never to fire a jet wash into the mirror housing when cleaning the car. Ive never done that in the 7 years ive owned it. 

Hopefully a cheap fix.........lol