E53 3.0i engine noise

Jtucker

Hi,

Picked up my first X5 this week after owning a E46 for many years.

It's a 2005 E53 3.0i with 88K mileage.

Noticed a bit of excessive noise coming from the engine (accessory belt area) when cold. The noise seems to go once the car is warm, but it is noticeable on a cold start.

Here is a link to a video of the noise https://youtu.be/CUwd0zpkPyU

Has anyone had something similar?

Thanks,

Morning J

Welcome to the Forum

Lots of stuff at the front that rotates, Water pump, Alternator, Power Steering Pump with their tensioner on one side. AC pump and tensioner on the other.

It isn't a difficult job more fiddly, I would remove the belts (alternator first) and run the engine if the noise is gone then check the bearings on the Alternator, Water Pump and Power Steering. Rotate by hand they should feel smooth no movement in out and sideways. Don't forget the Tensioner wheel that can be noisy to.

If the noise is still there with the Alternator belt removed you have narrowed it down to either the AC compressor or the Tensioner that side.

Remember we change engine oil at regular intervals (well I hope we do) but these small bearings are whizzing around relying only on their own self lubed bearings! Everything has a life

Good Luck 

Dave

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links