BMW 1 series changing gears erratically

AndrewN

Hi, i have a BMW 116i 2009 model. The problem is when i start the car and shift gear to Drive, with my foot on the brake, the gears keep shifting between P, N, D and R on the dashboard on its own while car is stationary. The same happens when i shift to Reverse. 

Using a diagnosis machine its not bringing up any errors. 

Please help if you came across the same before 

Regards

Morning Andrew

Welcome to the Forum 

I haven't heard of this one before, You need a BMW specific Diagnostic Program, Generic system will only see the DDE and not the many other inter linked control systems.

Has the Gearbox selected the gear you want while the display is moving between gears? When driving are the gear changes smooth and normal ? Have you tried disconnecting the battery for 30 mins to see if it re-sets it's self (disconnect Neg first) worth a try as it is free.

If the reset doesn't work then there are a number of things that could be the cause such as Low transmission fluid, it could be the gear selector switch, or the EWS gearbox control. 

The poor old gearbox is often completely ignored when a car is serviced yet repair or replacement is as expensive as an engine? You don't say how many miles the car has covered (i would guess 100k +) as an example with my x5 ZF advise service every 60 to 100,000 km about 60,000 miles.

Start with a reset then a good code read by someone with a specific program

Dave

Hi Dave, 

When the car finally gets driving,, the gears are changing smoothly without any issues. It starts acting up when i slow down and stop while in Drive. The gear i selected is also shown while the gears keep flipping.  We replaced the transmission fluid to proper level and did the re-set but no changes noticed. Am yet to get a BMW specific diagnostic tool as the one we used is generic.

Its driving me mad 😞

Regards

Andrew

Morning Andrew

Okay that narrows it a little, at least it would seem there are no mechanical issues. 

It could be a sensor or the gearbox controller. The controller receives signals to decide on which gear to select and when. Signals tell it about road speed, engine temp, engine revs and its own oil temperature.  I have read that the plug connector and its housing can cause issues.

Take a look at www.newtis.info it is a BMW Technical Information site BMW Dealers use the same information for service and repair information. Put the last 7 digits of your Vin into the search box and it will bring up your model 

Good Luck

Dave

• 3 weeks later...

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links