330ci_rob

Hi all, new to the forum. During the lockdown i decided to purchase a car i wish id never sold before so i found a fairly decent 2003 silver 330ci auto convertible with 93k. Shes been god as gold till recently. I had the autobox cog of death come up and after having it scanned it showed 00003c which seems to be autobox switch. Seems to only do it when cold, you switch on the engine and the cog appears, you switch off then back on and the box runs a dream. Im not sure if this is a coincidence but this problem started occuring after i fitted aftermarket radio involving removing shifter sourrounds. Does anyone know what might be causing this issue. Also i dont know if its related but the battery is probably not the best it could be. Many thanks guys

Morning Robert

Welcome to the Forum

Batteries either not charged or on there way out are the most common cause of spurious issues in BMW's though this is a new one for me. Get the battery checked and fully charged should be over 12.6 volts engine off 14 + volts engine running. Assuming the battery is OK when (if ever) was the gearbox serviced? 

If the Diagnostic check is correct check www.newtis.info select your model then put the fault or part into the search box, You will get the service/repair information

If your buying parts check www.realoem.com put the lasy 7 digits of your Vin into the search box then look for the parts you need

Good Luck Great Motor

Dave

HI Dave, appreciate the response. Does seem an odd problem as its fine when turned off then back on. Ill certainly get the battery looked over, its not a great brand it has gone flat on me a few times, plus it only gets used every other weekend so is quite possible. 

I cant put a date to it but i have paperowork for parts to do a service so i would imagine it has been taken care of not so long ago. I think my best bet is to get the battery looked at. I dont want it to become a reason to sell again as i love it, even though its 17 years old, just drives unlike the new cars now.

Hi Robert

I know how you feel my X5 is the same age. I have a Ctec charger and use it once a month to refresh the battery, I had to fit a new battery last year and was surprised to find out it was the original !!

Unfortunately BMW in their wisdom decided to classify the gearbox as sealed for life ?? While ZF state service every 60 to 80k for BMW life clearly meant end of Warranty. If your going to keep it I would find a ZF service centre and get it serviced fluid and filters.they will also run a diagnostic on the box to be sure.

Dave