My new project šŸ˜

Rickyraz

Hi everyoneĀ 

Iā€™ve very recently Purchased myself a bmw, in fact my first ever bmw! Always loved them, nearly all models.

Anyway I came upon a barn find, in a barn. Iā€™ve recently move to ā€˜this area (rural ). Iā€™ve just a bid operation 10 days ago and my friend and landlord as been keeping a eye on me while convalescing. Sorry this is dragging on a bitšŸ„±anyway he invited me to have a walk around is small holding to look at is tracktor and stuff. I seen this when he said it was taking room up in is barn and heā€™s dragging it out sidešŸ˜³anyway I purchased it from at is first suggested price infact I pulled is arm off! Very very very cheapšŸ˜‰I think šŸ¤” this is it

Ā 

1DE6A381-C3E0-4828-8786-35E74AFA9E90.jpeg

808D1EFC-6132-4F73-A7AB-A144F3F726C6.jpeg

706E1AF0-9D7A-4021-8F8D-4EC3C0BF1C61.jpeg

D07138F0-AEF1-4D85-8765-8070639C47A2.jpeg

5FC5BC5F-F25D-4210-B167-29D69E813298.jpeg

5D79D95F-CA49-400D-9B4F-09C01FAD184D.jpeg

2DC483B9-BEA1-4A17-BFD9-3777F1137A33.jpeg

It did run about five years ago apparently no engine problems? Gearbox as problems, and he tried jump starting it! The wrong way I expect as heā€™s a tractor/ Land Rover man.

Any tips advice or any input would be much appreciated and needed. I want to run and drive this stunning motor.

kind regards the the clubĀ 

Richard, very excitedĀ 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Morning Richard

Wow what a find. To protect your find as much as possible I would pull it out and trailer it away. From underneath get a socket on the crank and turn it by hand to make sure it hasn't seized. If it turns OK I would remove the spark plugs and put some diesel into the bores remember after 5 years the top of the engine will be dry (no oil) check the oil to make sure that's OK if possible give it an oil/filter change.

Then in the boot check/change the batteriesĀ (if you weren't aware there are 2) or if the batteries areĀ there and testĀ OK a jump pack on the jump points under the bonnet. Take care I have read that if only 1 battery is changed serious damage can be caused.

Once you have power spin it over several times without the plugs to (a) clear the diesel that has been lubricating the rings and (b) get oil pressure (oil light out on the dash) Now assuming fuel pumps are working plugs in and give it a go, all things equal it should start providing damage hasn't been done to the electronics by clumsy jump start efforts.

Good Luck keep us posted

Dave

Thanks Dave, as soon as I feel a little better Iā€™ll take your advice šŸ‘ tomorrow I will buy a couple of batteries for it, Iā€™ve purchased a proper cover for it. Iā€™m afraid it will have to stay there for a few weeks unless I can get it running and moving šŸ¤žšŸ»šŸ¤žšŸ»šŸ¤žšŸ»
any advice regarding a diagnostic tool?

many thanksĀ 

RichĀ 

Morning Richard

I use BMW 1.4.0 loaded onto an old laptop that I keep just for garage work. The program is pretty comprehensive easy to set up and use and is cheap. There are others like INSTA/INPA which are dealer level but can be a faf to set up.Ā 

I don't know if you are aware of www.realoem.com and www.newtis.info Ā 

First is an online BMW Parts Web Site put the last 7 digits of your Vin into the search box it will bring up your model so you know you have the right parts. Second is a BMW Technical Information site used by the Dealer network for service and repair information (remember the Dealer has Tech's who are younger than your carĀ šŸ˜) search your madel or use the Vin again.

Good Luck fingers crossedĀ 

Dave

Hi DavidĀ 

yes Iā€™ve got it! Iā€™ve had a bit of a shocker with it today though! I popped the two new batteries on. Just to see what electrics are working.Ā Big mistake smoke came from somewhere near the alternator!! Luckily my car didnā€™t go up in flames, but now Iā€™m stumped. Batteryā€™s offĀ 

Ā 

Hi Richard

Oh Oh!! Fingers crossed it's something simple like the Voltage regulator or rodent damage. I would check the loom in the area for signs of "munching" if the loom looks OK then just pull the plug on the alternator and test again if no smoke then you have it narrowed down. The Voltage regulator is a simple change (easier with the alternator on the bench)Ā 

Tip 1. AĀ good addition to the tool box is a younger bendier assistant (i have two sons for that) Tip 2. Are you aware of Tim Meeks web site he is an 840 nut in the nicest way. check out www.meeknet.co.uk

Dave

Hi DavidĀ 

well it seems that the alternator is seized anyway. I removed the plugs squirted diesel in the bores and turned it over by hand everything move nicely except for the alternator šŸ‘ Iā€™ve been on it all day and my op is getting a bit sore, kit away for today and a cold beer me thinkšŸ˜‹ oh Iā€™m solo on the this project. Thank DaveĀ 

The beer sounds like a plan Richard (thinking Juice)Ā 

Progress better slow at this stage, good news is everything is turning apart from the alternator so step one If all the fluid levels are OK I would remove the belt and spin it up to get oil where it needs to be.Ā 

Enjoy your cold thinking juiceĀ 

Dave