Dmf or solid flywheel recommendations please

ian griffin

Hi all have had a rattling noise from the rear of my engine N47, thought it was the dreaded timing chain, but one morning at the caravan the engine sounded good no rattling but since then getting a slight vibration through the gear stick and gearbox, also a whining noise on acceleration so now thinking dual mass flywheel. I know you cannot diagnose dmf until you take it out so thinking just change the clutch and flywheel as not sure if it has been changed before but to change the flywheel for a single mass along the lines of solid flywheels where good on old fords why not 2008 Bmw 5 series ?

Any thoughts ?

Morning Ian

Dual mass fly wheels are used to reduce Noise Vibration and Harshness (NVH) and are now the norm on most manual cars. A dual mass flywheel is two parts bonded together with rubber, if (many say when) the rubber deteriorates is where they get noisy and need changing. My sons Toyota Pick up he had a solid fly wheel fitted a while back and I have to admit if there is a difference I can't hear or feel it. Then again the last car I owned that was a Manual was a (Lotus Carlton) in 90/91 and his truck has little in common with my 4.6is X5.

I guess the issue will be is there a solid fly wheel kit available for the 520d ?

Dave

Hi Dave thanks for that may just go the single mass route half the cost of a dual mass and in theory more reliable and their are lots of kits, also I cannot remember any problems with the old fords and like you Vauxhall carltons, although not the Lotus.

Cheers

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links