Traction control light

Dan R

Hi - I have a 2011 BMW 318i. Today, the Traction Control light lit up on my dashboard with the usual warning tone. The car was a touch juddery before hand although nothing major. As soon as I turned off and on again, the light disappeared for maybe another 60 miles and then came back on again. Same script, turned off and on again and no problem since. The issue cropped up at low speeds both times.  Anyone on here experienced this issue before and know what it is??

The car actually had some minor suspension work done a couple of weeks back (track rod ends and wheel calibration), but done maybe 200 miles since and this is the first time its happened so not convinced it's related.

Cheers in advance.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Dan

Welcome to the forum.

Sounds like a possible intermittent connection on the ABS sensor wiring.

Probably disturbed during the recent work.

Take the rear wheels off and disconnect, clean with Contact Spray, and re-connect any and all ABS connections.

If this doesn't cure it, go back to whoever did the work on the suspension.

Hope this helps.

John

Thanks John, for both the welcome and the advice. I'm not much of a mechanic (or at all!!🤣) but that solution sounds reasonably straight forward. When the wheels are off, how will I know what connectors to disconnect and spray? Sorry, my knowledge is less than basic I'm afraid!!

Morning Dan

Take a look at www.realoem.com put the last 7 Digits of your Vin into the search box it will bring up your model then check the brake section you will find a small exploded drawing that will help you identify the sensor and where it is. 

You also may need someone with a BMW specific diagnostic tool a quick scan will confirm if it is a sensor, clear the fault and see if it returns.

Dave

Found the drawing thanks Dave. All pretty complicated stuff! (For me at least🤣)

Just got back to the BMW dealership who carried out the work and they were more than happy to take a look when I explained everything to them including the explanation that you both gave. Booked in to get it looked at now but will try cleaning the sensors and everything in the meantime to see if that helps. Thanks for the posts. I'll keep you appraised!

Dan.

• Like 1

Morning Dan

There are the brake wear sensors easy to find as the wire leads to the brake caliper and the ABS sensor that goes behind the Brake at the hub after cleaning and re-seating try disconnecting the battery (neg first) and leaving it for half an hour then reconnect the battery. Even Dealers use this as a simple re-set procedure. 

Dave

• 4 weeks later...

Bit of an update about the above problem.... so, just got to the main dealers last week (they had a Covid-19 outbreak so had to isolate the whole team of technicians which delayed my appoi tment 14 days!) and they solved the problem and sorted it for free. Turns out that the Steering alignment sensor was creating the issue due to it needing realignment following the work done on my suspension. They did the reallignment after the work was originally done on my track rod ends but from all accounts it can need this doing again following the original alignment after it's been driven for a few miles as it can go slightly out as the suspension settles. Once they did that it was all sorted! 

Thanks for your input ...... They did check the ABS sensors too for the Traction Control and cleaned them up also just to be sure.

Dan.

• 2 weeks later...