2008 328i electrical..please help

rnhib@att.net

Hello I hope anyone can help. I have a 2008 328i..it has a no crank nostart and we assumed the starter was bad.the  guy helping accidentally wired with a jumper wire across the sockets where the CAS relay he removed..its a BLACK 4 prong relay on the fuse panel under passenger glovebox.. he thought it was the STARTER RELAY :(

NOW all the HEADLIGHTS, DOMELIGHT, BRAKELIGHTS AND WIPERS STAY ON WITH THE CAR OFF......the shifter will also NOT shift (automatic)

can anyone help??? Must has blown a module? someone said footwell module but all my lights wont turn off with car OFF!   any help appreciated..also, what fuse can I pull to shut off the wipers and all

thanks..please help!! I enclosed a pic of the black CAS relay he jumped with a jumper wire

BMWCASRELAY.jpg

Morning Gail

Welcome to the Forum

Simple question WHY those relays are available at any Factor or Halfords why not just swap it??? Now you have a host of issues not least that possibly the LCM module may be fried and new that isn't cheap. If buying second hand make sure the part number is correct.

You need someone (Garage or friend) with a BMW diagnostic program to read the codes. If the starter is suspect a decent electrician can check it with a multi meter easily, But a no crank no start situation needs diagnostics to save throwing money at it (but you may have to now)

Use www.realoem.com to find part numbers just put the last 7 digits of your Vin into the search box it will bring up your model 

Also use www.newtis.info to get wiring diagrams and how to's that may help with any repairs

Good Luck

Dave

RE; My 2008 BMW 328i     my other  question is I know how to use a multimeter but how do u reach that starter to check 12 volts constant at big positive connector and voltage at trigger terminal to starter..its buried!!!   Geez..thank u so much for your help..i really appreciate it..i wish i was rich and i'd take this car to get fixed asap.

Morning Gail

Your BMW has a large number of control modules (around 20 from memory) many look after simple local functions others (the important ones) the operation of the car. The critical ones share information, if one isn't talking then nothing works as it should. The LCM (Light Control Module) is one of them it controls/communicates with the engine control (DME) gearbox control (DTC) cluster control (IKE) plus a few more (I am trying to keep it simple) while doing its own job 

You need a competent mechanic (not someone who thinks he can hot wire it) with a BMW specific diagnostic computer if you can't do it your self. 

The starter is under the car so reached from below not above. I am guessing your in the USA so try looking at www.pelicanparts.com they have great "how to" sections and I am sure be very helpful on the phone.

Dave

Hi Dave..yes i am in the USA..i did not know u can reach starter from below..all you tube video shown it being removed form above..so i am assuming you can easily reach it and test it from below with a multimeter on a 2008 328i?  Is it difficult to change from below..well..i dont think that will happen.I just realized car wont start so cant get it on a lift.

ALSO, u mentioned the LCM..it controls the gear shift knob so it will move?? And the Lights??? u think maybe that is what is wrong with car ?????  .Is the LCM the same as a FOOTWWELL MODULE??? All my lites were on and ran the battery down..very fun for a girl to change a BMW battery..forget about lifting it out! It weighs a ton!!

Any more info appreciated..do u know where there are any videos of starter being removed from bottom? or pics? thank u so much..HAVE A GREAT day..next time i am buying a car that runs..lol😞

Morning Gail

If you look at my last post the PelicanParts web site address is there. They have a great "How To" section with pictures plus I have been told by friends in the US very helpful on the phone.

There are also the other Web address's I put up for part numbers and technical information.

Yes the LCM is located in the footwell so could be called the Footwel module. As your battery is dead (cancel your Gym membership) get it checked before deciding whether to change it or charge it. BMW's react badly to low Battery voltages, so I would remove any "Jumper wires" or any other "clever Mods" replace with new the Relay which should put every thing back to as it should be. Then (no Gym membership required) replace the battery with a fully charged or new one, get all the fault codes cleared and try to start the car. Any faults returning will point you towards the issue/issues. If the Lights issue is one it will point at the LCM being fried.

As your obviously an independent girl take a look online for BMW 1.4.0 or ISTA/INPA  they are diagnostic programs you can load on a laptop they are not expensive and will save you a fortune.

Dave

• 3 months later...

Dave, sorry for not responding sooner..

did u say that the FOOTWELL module on my 2008 328i controls the gear shift??? My gear shift doesnt lit up on DASH or SELECTOR SWITCH..would that make the car NOT start..it originally had a NO Crank No start..the old starter was bad..installed new starter..still wont start..will the PARK gear not lighting up make the car not know what gear its in and not start?? the gearshift also wont move or shift..car cant start though. Still no crank no start.

I sent out the footwell module and they said they couldnt repair it

...also 3 mechanics never showed up..car in yard..sad.. thanks for ur help.