warning lights

changed a right rear ABS sensor this morning, since that i have all these lights staying on my dash, has been on diagnostic and it says there is no power feed but it is reading wheel speed on all wheels, cant understand, anyone any suggestions please as getting really fed up with this car at moment, car is running absoluteley mint but cant put up with these faults all the time

warning lights.jpg

When you say it’s been on diagnostics, did you clear the faults?

the sensor warning lights maybe still on as the sensor has been unplugged and the warning has been latched, IE will stay on until reset. the one next to it is parking brake on?

the middle ones equate to tyre pressure sensor and not sure about the 4x4 one. 

Hi Ben

Were the lights there before? Did you disconnect the battery or leave the ignition on for a length of time while changing sensors. Have you actually driven the car? Try driving forward and backwards going lock to lock. Or disconnect the battery again leave for 30 mins then reconnect.

Dave

hi Dave

answers to your questions, 1. the lights only came on when doing a constant speed, usuallu around the 60 mark, 2. no i didnt disconnect the battery and yes the ignition was still on when we changed the sensor, 3.i have driven the car and drives absoluteley fine, 4. i havent tried going backwards and forwards and changing lock, 5. i will go and disconnect the battery and see where we go from there.

thanks again Dave for your input, i will let you know how i get on

Hi Ben

The 2 warning lights are a tyre pressure warning ( I have coded mine out as they were always plying up) The other if it won't clear needs more investigation as it points to a wheels sensor or the ABS pump.

Fingers crossed a simple reset does the trick

Dave

• 3 weeks later...

well after a lot of cussing and swearing i've had the rear wheel sensor changed as that was coming up as a fault on the computer, i've had the transfer case actuator cog changed and to be honest there wasn't a lot of wear on that cog and the rear right wheel bearing changed and i have still got lights on the dash, admittedly there is only the 4x4 light on and garage has said it is coming up as "transfer case" fault now.

i am absoluteley fed up with the damn thing now, anyone any idea what could be causing these warning lights, had all wiring checked and mechanic is adamant there is no break in any cables.

Still giving you pain Ben? 

First did the garage clear any faults ?

Or you could try this : The Service 4WD light is most likely the 4WD switch on the dashboard. If the lights are acting funny then the switch needs to be replaced.

Dave

Hi Dave, when it first started the garage cleared all codes then when we started it up the lights came back on immediatley, garage has now got it down to one light remaining which is the 4x4 light and his computer is coming up with transfer case fault now but just had a new cog put in there

Hi Ben

Is the oil level in the transfer case correct plus is it ATF not hypoid like the Diffs (Check realoem or newtis)? Then read faults, clear faults re-read. Start and drive it is also worth checking the switch as above

Clutching at straws here, when they changed the actuator gear did the actually check/change the transfer case oil? 

Some tests and things you can do for free,

Reverse slowly on full lock any snatching indicates transmission wind up which will effect the Transfer box and Diffs.

Check the tyres, are pressures correct. With the steering straight ahead make a chalk mark at the bottom of each tyre roll forward a couple of rotations they should all be pretty much in line. If not transmission wind up is going to happen.

Drive the car and stop window or door open if you hear any clicking noise something is still not right with the actuator motor

Change the transfer case oil

Check the activation (DSC) switch on the dash.

Just a check what diagnostic program are the |Garage using?

Dave

Hi Dave

at last all sorted, turned out it was the rear right wheel bearing was a faulty part, to cut a long storey short the lad a the garage said he thought the part looked a bit iffy when he fitted it, something to do with the magnetic rings, anyway he took it back out and replaced with another new part and everything went back to normal, even put the old abs sensor back on and everything is fine, took it out for a drive where i could keep a constant speed and everything is clear, no lights on dash, very happy now.

thanks very much for your help

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links