x5 water pump wont bleed the system

ive topped up my coolant and turned the fan to the lowest setting and temp to the highest and put my foot on the accelerator pedal for 10 seconds but it wont bleed the system. if i start the car it sends water into the overflow bottle. when i put the lid on the expansion bottle after a few min it will start pushing water out of the top, has my water pump had it?

Morning James

Which engine? Diesel or Petrol? 

What is the issue you are having? You say you have topped up the coolant is there a leak? When the car is running and up to Temp is the gauge needle in the middle ? Does your car have auxiliary heating?

If the issue is no heat in the cabin it could be a number of things other than the water pump. Thermostats there are 2, 3 on some models, there are flow control vales that allow hot water to the heater matrix and an auxiliary water pump.

Then there is the embarrassing one the centre vent roller needs to be in the red section to allow heat to the cab many have thought there is an issue but the roller is in the wrong position.

Load of questions but some information may help in working out what the problem is

Dave

hi dave its a 2008 m sport 3.0sd twin turbo diesel.noticed the level was low so i topped it up. tried to do the bleed by putting my foot on the accelertor pedal and fan on lowest speed and on full heat. it sounded like the pump was making a noise but no water was coming into the expansion bottle. i started the car and it sends water into the expansion bottle. i screwed the top on and within a couple of mins it was starting to come out the top.

Morning James

Water pumps don't fail often (doesn't mean they don't) with the engine running and the cap on the bleed screw should be tight also. Let the engine reach operating temp then just crack the bleed screw (like a radiator bleed screw in your house) any air you should hear escaping plus bubbles. If its just coolant then tighten up job done

You should have a secondary/auxiliary water pump electric that runs to circulate hot water before the thermostat is open.

If you check www.newtis.info for the dealer sequence for checking and bleeding

Dave

Hi James 

On my X5 (earlier E53) if I turn on the ignition with the expansion cap off ( tested mine by putting the car in D so I could turn to the engine run position with out cranking) the Auxiliary pump circulates water into the expansion tank. 

I would guess that if yours isn't doing it then you may have a faulty Auxiliary pump.

The procedure they show in Newtis for your model is,

Venting cooling system:

Brake bleeding procedure is maintained automatically for a set period of time. During this time, marginal conditions are continuously checked and the brake bleeding procedure is automatically terminated in the event that these are violated.

The following preconditions are continuously monitored by the DDE and must be adhered to in order to maintain the brake bleeding procedure:

• Automatic transmission in position "N" or "P".
  • Manual gearbox clutch not operated.
  • Engine at idle (presses on accelerator are possible).
  • driving speed is less than 3 km/h.
  • Coolant temperature on engine start <50°C.

Starting the brake bleeding procedure:

1. Switch on ignition.
  2. Set heater to maximum temperature and turn blower down to lowest speed.
  3. FES (driving experience switch) must not be in ECO PRO!
  4. Press accelerator pedal for 10 seconds to floor.
  5. Start the engine within 30 seconds.

If the engine is not started within 30 seconds, the function is reset.

6. If the brake bleeding procedure needs to be performed again (e.g. in the event of a leaking cooling system), allow DME to fall completely (leave ignition key removed for approx. 3 mins) then repeat from point 1.

Once the function has been started, a counter runs (10 minutes) whilst the aforementioned marginal conditions are satisfied. Once this period has expired or in the event that the aforementioned marginal conditions are violated, the function switches automatically to normal operation.

Then adjust fluid level in the coolant expansion tank to maximum.

I guess you are following those instructions ?

So a code read is needed to let you know if your Auxiliary pump is working 

Dave

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links