Washer pump cleaning

Emmo

Is there any way I can clean the windscreen washer pump without removing it from the car, as it involves taking the wheel, wheel arch and side indicator off to reveal the damn thing! The headlight washers work fine as they use a second pump I believe, but the windscreen washers perform one reasonable bust followed by just an 'ooze' if you see what I mean.

Morning Martin

The filter on the pump is clogged with a jelly like substance caused by using a washer fluid that didn't have a fungicide in it being used (BMW will tell you theirs is the only one) So unfortunately it isn't really possible to clean them properly without access.

My wife's Subaru has the washer bottle under the wing behind the splash guard, so to get at it it's wheel off, splash guard out then I can get at the washer reservoir.and pumps. Yes the same issue so not just BMW, but it takes me less than an hour once a year if that and I am not a fit bendy young thing anymore. It will always need doing as it isn't always possible or practical to find a screen wash with fungicide in it. 

In October last year I brought 3 x 5 ltr of BMW screen wash from Amazon cost about £10 for 5 ltr from memory and we still have most of one left in the garage.

Dave

Hi Dave

Many thanks again for your help. At 67 with arthritis in both knees I too am no longer a bendy young thing! I was hoping I could flush the system out with hot water, but it seems not the case. Most garages want about £160 to do the job! However, a household product called 'Cillit Bang' black mould remover seems to do wonders in our bathroom, so I was thinking of sticking some of that in my washer system before I start dismantling the car, what do you think?

Thanks

Martin

Hi Martin

Your catching me up, it is easy getting down but a lot harder getting up again 😂

I hadn't thought of trying something like that, it doesn't melt plastic or rubber or it wouldn't stay i in the thing they sell it in.

I would say worth a try maybe a drain un-blocker product ? Thinking of that a plumber friend told us to put a bottle of Coke down a blocked drain and leave it as long as possible, it worked cleared the blockage and cheaper than the stuff from Tesco. 

Good thinking Martin

Dave

Hi Dave

I'll try both Cillit Bang and then Coke if it doesn't work. I like Coke, and if it clears a blocked drain, what's it doing to my inside? Doesn't bear thinking about! I'll let you know how I get on.

Martin

Hi Dave

you were kind enough to answer the problem on my X3m and with old age etc I eventually let Ocean the local Main Healer do it. their eventual charge £260.

Wish I had thought of the cillet bang and coca cola options,could not have done any harm.

At 83 though not as lively as you youngsters.

ARe there any more unusual problems with car. How is it off road, 4 wheel drive reliable?

Engine bulletproof?

Any info welcome.

And THANKS GUYS

Phil

Morning Phil

X3/X5 are very similar apart from engines the X3 have 2.0, 2.5 and 3.0 engine in both flavours Petrol and Diesel the latest models even have hybrid tech. X5 3.0 in both flavours and V8 petrol 4.4 to 4.8 My opinion is that the Achilles heel for all modern engines are the extended service periods that all manufactures tout, so my advice is oil changes annually or every 5k in my case to protect.

Modern Diesels also have DPF/EGR issues if short journeys are the norm, a good charge on a motorway once a month helps I am told . Tyres are the nemesis for all 4x4 if there is a difference in rolling radius front to rear the transfer box can be damaged so when replacing tyres I try to ensure I change all 4.

Off road our cars are not hardcore off road warriors (even the Land Rover boys beef stuff up and buy special tyres) but driven sensibly are OK I pop the box in manual select 3rd and let the torque work. Slippery grass fields and snotty gateways towing the horse trailer no problems, While out shooting muddy farm tracks and more slippery gateways (have you noticed farmers always put the gate in the muddiest corner of the field?) and not needed rescue yet.

I am on my 2nd X5 which originally we brought to tow a horse trailer after selling the Horse lorry in 2003. The first X5 was a 4.4 and I have to say faultless for 3 years then while out shooting a large tree blew over and squashed an Audi 2 pickups and the X5. I replaced it with the 4.6 X5 (now 156k) which has been an interesting learning process, but both cars have performed off the beaten track while towing at Horse shows and out on the shoots and never faltered. I was in Germany in 2007 and snow closed down a lot of areas but the X5 on winter tyres just kept going.

I have a friend who is a Landrover Discovery disciple he looked at the X5 and said "buy a good tow rope you will need it" Happy to report I have never been "towed" but have smugly towed him out off the sticky stuff twice 🤣

Bit of a ramble but I hope it helps

Dave

• Thanks 1