Noobie Remote Key fob query E90 318D Touring

fulburncams

Apologies if this has been requested many times before but I have just bought 2009 318D ( E90 i think) touring.  All seems well but the key fob does not always open the car,  i can use the manual key and everything starts / runs fine but obviously I do not want to keep having the alarm go off when i want to drive.  So far I have replaced the battery in one of the fobs,  but whilst this initially seemed to work , but today it has again not let me in, so I am guessing i have a problem with the car rather that the fob.  Sometimes i see a battery symbol on the dash,  does this imply the main battery is old and needs replacing.  Also , possibly unrelated,  i cannot get into the boot sometimes ,  any help/advise much appreciated.  Thanks  Steve

Hi Stephen

Welcome to the Forum

Not sure if the 3 series suffer the same issue as 5 series but worth a look, sometimes the antenna in the 5 series mounted in the rear boot spoiler suffered water ingress causing the same symptoms. Try holding the key over the rear antenna to see if that helps with opening

As your key starts the car there doesn't seem to be an issue with the transponder in the key only with the remote locking/alarm activation. Check out www.newtis.info to see what you can learn from there the site is a technical site, BMW Dealers use the same information for service and repair. Also look at www.realoem.com this one is a BMW online parts list so when buying spares you know it will be correct and fit.

Dave

Note you seem to have posted in the X5 section not the 3 Series section maybe the Mods could move it 👍