Relay location for aircon 2008 520d lci e61

ian griffin

Hi newbie here, hot weather, not able to open pano roof and air con not working so roasting when stuck in traffic. The air con compressor does not kick in and before paying out for gas check I want to check fuse and relay have been told fuses in the glove box nothing in the 2 locations 26 and 30 and would like to find out where the relay is also. Always wanted a 5 series BMW and now wishing I had done my homework first lol! Be careful with any info do not make out you know everything as I.probably will need a restraining order against me lol 

Morning Ian

Welcome to the Forum

I haven't heard of fuse or relay issues normally regas is the answer, however I believe the relay is in the fuse box in the engine bay. Take a look at www.newtis.info this is a BMW technical site Dealers use the same information for service and repair. Also check www.realoem.com this one is a BMW online parts list put the last 7 digits of your vin into the search box it will bring up your model then check the sections there are small exploded drawings that should help locate stuff. You could also try www.pelicanparts.com another American site with loads of how too's and pictures apart from having the steering in the wrong place very helpful.

You may also find some help with the Pan roof (not BMW's best effort) and fixes on these sites.

Where have you been to find traffic !! You've been to the seaside haven't you😂

Dave

Thanks for the reply have tried youtube for answers and not found anything except for Dean Bmw doctor but got fed up with doom and gloom lol ! no not yet to seaside but trying to get home from work this week been okay during lockdown no traffic kept moving this week everyone back to work including road workers

Morning Ian

Your PanRoof I think will be your big head ache from what I have read there are a couple of "fixes" or a complete new cassette either way its a pain. That is why I searched for one without a sun roof. Personally I would fix the aircon and leave it shut.

The aircon 99% will be gas, aircon systems loose a small amount of gas every year in general use so after 5 to 10 years will reach a point where there isn't enough pressure to operate. It is worse if it has been turned off for long periods, many think they are saving money by turning it off particularly in winter months. What happens is seals dry out and crack causing leaks, don't panic there aren't that many seals and they aren't expensive replacing seals is a DIY proposition. First I would get the system re-gassed even Kwick Fit have the right stuff. they just connect to a machine that first pulls a vacuum. If the system can't hold a vacuum the machine won't re-gas the system as it indicates a leak (leaks are normally seals, or possibly condenser (tip if it is a condenser leak change the dryer as well) They can put in a coloured dye that should show where it is. My first step would be re-gas if you want to DIY Halfords do re-gas kits as do good Motor Factors.

I know what you mean about road works we seem to be surrounded at the moment (maybe a Government plot to stop us going anywhere 😈) that and as you say more traffic.

As a retired Old Bloke I can avoid most sticky times 😁

Dave

Hi Ian. 
Is the pump belt driven?

when you press the air con button, does the solenoid pull the pulley into gear to turn the compressor? Sometimes on the old e46’s the solenoid or the clutch just failed and wouldn’t engage the pump. 
you should see a pulley that’s not going round with the engine running when the air con is off, when you turn it on, it should spin with the rest of them. 
that would be my first check. 

Hi, no the clutch on the compressor is not engaging when air con is switched on that is why i wanted to check the relay and fuse before getting the gas pressure checked. 

Thank for the reply

Ian

• 2 months later...

Cheers all regas fixed it, think bmw aircon in a 5 series touring is not up to the hot weather we had earlier, although i could feel the cold air the rest of the car was still quite warm may be having the panoramic roof does not help.

Thanks all !!