330d fault

xrayman

Wanted some advice please.

Bought a 2016 330d from main dealer couple of months ago.  a few weeks later, could hear a whooshing sound on acceleration (not the usual Turbo whistle).  Took it back, they apparently did all the tests but couldn't find anything wrong.  They said all the intake hoses etc were fine.  Eventually I insisted it was abnormal (compared head-to-head to other similar models), and they agreed, and they ended up replacing the turbo (under warranty).  This seemed to sort the noise out.

But now 3 weeks later, it's returned.

Not sure sure what to do.  I am 100% sure it's abnormal.  It's becoming a headache.  Am I within my rights to return it for a refund?  I'm happy to get an independent garage to check it out if need be. 

Thanks.

Morning Nick

Welcome to the Forum

I risk "Teaching Granny to Suck Eggs" but here goes, Turbo chargers in simple terms are exhaust driven superchargers. The exhaust side spins a common shaft that turns the compressor turbine. The compressor turbine pulls fresh air through the air filter into the turbine and pushes it out at higher pressure. The act of compressing the air causes heat so the compressed air takes a convoluted route through an intercooler before it gets to the inlet manifold. Any leak will make a whooshing sound. I did read about this problem with an X5 and it was an incorrect seal fitted at the intercooler.

I would hope that at one or more of the joints in this high pressure side a seal has not been seated properly or a clamp not tightened, fingers crossed for you and your dealer that is the issue. 

The Sale of Goods Act is on your side as a real last resort,. but as the dealer has already attempted a repair they can't really not correct it.

I would point out that while they have carried out work under warranty they have not inspired confidence in their ability to solve the issue in either the quality of workmanship or parts if the repair only lasts 3 weeks.

Dave

3 hours ago, Greydog said:

Morning Nick

Welcome to the Forum

I risk "Teaching Granny to Suck Eggs" but here goes, Turbo chargers in simple terms are exhaust driven superchargers. The exhaust side spins a common shaft that turns the compressor turbine. The compressor turbine pulls fresh air through the air filter into the turbine and pushes it out at higher pressure. The act of compressing the air causes heat so the compressed air takes a convoluted route through an intercooler before it gets to the inlet manifold. Any leak will make a whooshing sound. I did read about this problem with an X5 and it was an incorrect seal fitted at the intercooler.

I would hope that at one or more of the joints in this high pressure side a seal has not been seated properly or a clamp not tightened, fingers crossed for you and your dealer that is the issue. 

The Sale of Goods Act is on your side as a real last resort,. but as the dealer has already attempted a repair they can't really not correct it.

I would point out that while they have carried out work under warranty they have not inspired confidence in their ability to solve the issue in either the quality of workmanship or parts if the repair only lasts 3 weeks.

Dave

Thanks Dave.  That's very useful.  😁

I am bit surprised why the whooshing sounds seemed better after the new turbo was fitted.  Prior to fitting they assured me all the hose fixtures were not leaking and they did a 'smoke test'..

I'll probably give them another chance to sort it, but I'm a little worried of being fobbed off.  I'm also more concerned that even if they were to 'fix' it, this may well be a temporary repair and I don't want to be lumbered with a dud care which is inevitably going to give me issues down the line once the used car warranty expires.  Could there be an underlying inherent fault obviously not related to the turbo.

It's a real shame as I really like the car otherwise and it's high spec.

Do you think it's best to give them a final chance to sort it pointing out that I will be going down the SOG act if all fails?  I understand that there is a 6-month time limit for this.  I also part paid with credit card, so that option is also available. 

Thanks again 😊

Hi Nick

I would email to them first outlining your concerns regarding the fact that (1) They seemed to have problems diagnosing the issue first off (2) After further investigation they provided a repair which is not satisfactory.

Point out that this has reduced your confidence in the reliability of the car and their ability to maintain it, ask what action they will take to rectify copy BMW UK Customer Services (you do need to give them an opportunity) 

Then go and see them let them explain the course of action they intend to take. If you find it unreasonable escalate your complaint explaining that you have spent good money with them but they have not provided goods that are "fit for purpose" and you require them to repair or replace them in a timely manner, if they cannot then a full refund would be your only recourse.

By doing this you will have a record of what is happening that is a legal document should things get bumpy. Dealers vary, my local dealer is very good efficient and helpful, I used a Dealer 15 miles away and they were the absolute pit's. The Service Manager was arrogant to the point of rudeness. so sadly we pay our money and take our chances.

I am sure they won't let it get that far

Good Luck

Dave

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Greydog said:

Hi Nick

I would email to them first outlining your concerns regarding the fact that (1) They seemed to have problems diagnosing the issue first off (2) After further investigation they provided a repair which is not satisfactory.

Point out that this has reduced your confidence in the reliability of the car and their ability to maintain it, ask what action they will take to rectify copy BMW UK Customer Services (you do need to give them an opportunity) 

Then go and see them let them explain the course of action they intend to take. If you find it unreasonable escalate your complaint explaining that you have spent good money with them but they have not provided goods that are "fit for purpose" and you require them to repair or replace them in a timely manner, if they cannot then a full refund would be your only recourse.

By doing this you will have a record of what is happening that is a legal document should things get bumpy. Dealers vary, my local dealer is very good efficient and helpful, I used a Dealer 15 miles away and they were the absolute pit's. The Service Manager was arrogant to the point of rudeness. so sadly we pay our money and take our chances.

I am sure they won't let it get that far

Good Luck

Dave

Great, thank you!  Sounds very reasonable and fair..

Would I benefit at any point obtaining an independent mechanical inspection of the car?  Like initially, I don't want them to say it's a normal characteristic of the car and the head-to-head testing against similar cars didn't reveal much difference in noise.

Cheers!!

Morning Nick

As they have begun work under Warranty the Dealership have accepted it isn't a "normal characteristic" they will normally have discussed warranty work it with a BMW customer service manager. What you don't want to do is risk them saying "are but others have been here and may have disturbed something so it isn't our fault" so I would keep away from independent inspections unless it is a different BMW Dealer of course. 

Good Luck

Dave

• Thanks 1

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links