Remote Locking....ermm not!

Marlowboy

Hi all, aren’t these cars FUN!

Completed many off the jobs that needed addressing and the end of the Tunnel is in view! “Just” 4 Wheel Alignment, Tyres and the LPG sorting out left and the following little problem....

I have to use what looks like the Blue Emergency Key, ie, no Press Buttons to unlock and lock the Car. I then use a second Key, a  Black “Buttoned” to start it. I’m guessing that the Door Locks have been changed and the Ignition switch is the original? You very knowledgeable folks out there.................is there any way of Programming the Original Key to replacement Door Locks so the remote works? Thank you once again if anyone can offer advice and Stay Safe

Hi Martin

Yes they will keep you alert making certain your always listening to them.

The remote key is programmed to the EWS which controls the central locking and alarm, so to a large extent the door lock is irrelevant, as long as the key starts the car.

There are three methods of programming the keys providing the fob batteries are good they should recharge while in the ignition.

Method 1:

1. Working from within the vehicle and with the doors shut

2. Turn ignition to position 1 and back to off within 5 seconds.

3. Remove the key from ignition and press and hold the unlock button for 15 seconds during this time press the key lock button 3 times within 5 seconds.

4. Release both buttons.

5. Doors will lock and unlock to show correct programming has occurred.

Method 2:

To do this procedure you need to have one working key and one key that needs to be programmed.

1) Get in and close all doors.

2) Turn on the ignition and turn off quickly. (No more than 5 seconds) to start the process. Next action must take place within 30 seconds.

3) Remove the 1st key.

4) Hold the key up near your left shoulder (this is so it is closer to the remote receiver antenna.

5) Hold down the unlock button and press the lock button 3 times. Release the unlock button and the doors lock which confirms the operation.

6) Quickly repeat steps 4 & 5 for key #2 etc.

If it does not work, try doing the keys in opposite order. Key 2 then key 1, vs 1 then 2.

Method 3:

Alternate if you do not have a working remote

1. Turn key to position 1 five times very quickly

2. Remove key

3. Hold unlock button then press lock button 3 times, release unlock button.

4. If you have another key do the same button pressing within 30 seconds 5. Turn on ignition to finalise.

This should program your key to the EWS and let you lock unlock remotely.

If not it could be a fault with the antenna in the car or batteries in the key fobs 

Good Luck

Dave 

Thank you Dave. I’m guessing again, but the car has not been driven any distance for a very long time so guessing, again, the Fob Batteries are dead. I’m putting it on the road 01 June so will try after a decent run. Keep Safe!

Morning Martin

You can buy the batteries if you need to repair the key fob, plenty of videos around showing how too do it 

If you don't have one a BMW specific code reader will prove invaluable, something like BMW 1.4.0, INPA, Carly for BMW, I use 1.4.0 which is mounted on on an old laptop which I keep just for garage work.

Is yours 3.0, 4.4, or 4.6 like mine?

Dave

• Like 1

Hi again. Unfortunately it’s the “Boys” version, 3.0 Petrol. I paid the princely sum of........£670 for it and sold a Car Seat that was fitted for £20 so £650! It’s been to the Moon and back with the miles but now looks very tidy. Suspension all now sorted with new Coils and a few Arms tightening everything up underneath. Replaced the DISA Valve due to a vac leak and then the normal Service Items. It’s great having room around the Engine to work! I’ve had GTO’s in the recent past and those !Removed! must have very small hands! 
I only have the basic Code Reader so not much help on anything other than the engine. I also have a isoft Merc specific for my SL but don’t think it will work on anything else. Touching wood it all seems ok now, booking it in for 4 wheel alignment next week when it will be legal to go on our fine smooth, tarmacked roads........

Thanks for your advice, I’m sure I’ll be back!

Hi Martin

Bargain of the year !!!

The M54 straight six is one of the worlds great engines so with good maintenance will last and last. Gearbox tends to be the weak point as they often never get serviced just complained about when they break. If your not aware tyres are important to protect the transfer case and rear diff. Petrol consumption on the 6 is about the same as the V8's due to the cars weight apart from that great motors.

Enjoy

Dave

If you haven't picked it up yet www.realoem.com is a BMW online parts list put the last 7 digits of your Vin in the search box it will bring up your model. Makes sure your buying the right bits when you need them. www.newtis.info BMW Technical information used by Dealers for service and repair

• Like 1

Nowt wrong with a 3l petrol..... mines the proper manual version though! 😜 

good find, great price! 

Thanks for the info on key programming greydog. I was wondering if I could get a key cut and reprogrammed using 1.4.0 👍🏻

• Like 1

Hi Stu

Remember the reprogramming is only for the Remote Access a new key will have to have the transponder in to enable starting, not sure if just getting a key cut will work??

Dave