no lights ?

frank58

Hi new on here, i have the X3 E83 2004 2.5 sport, i had a bad light in the rear number plate light, removed it but in doing so think i shorted it. Now when i start the car side lights come on and stay on, no main beam, no hazzards, no indicaters. Checked fuses in glove box but fine ? any advice please 

Hi Frank

Welcome to the Forum

Have a look at www.newtis.info it is a BMW Technical Information site same as the information Dealers have. It has wiring Diagrams so it should help you trace the issue

Dave

Morning Frank

Have alook at www.reaoem.com put the last 7 digits of your Vin in the search box it will bring up your model when you search there are small exploded drawings that will show where stuff is located. Also it will give the part number you want to look for, if you click on the part number it will open a list of alternate options and other models it was used on.

I know that it is in the passenger footwell in the X5 so that is where I would start. 

Good Hunting

Dave

Cheers Dave, i pulled the light switch and it has a ribbon cable going down to below the dash, so now know where its located. I know the LCM are not plug and play but whats the downside? just the tamper dot? just need the lights and indicators back.

Not sure but I think it was after the model change E83 to F25 that everything needed coding, of course at my age and after sitting in the sun with a glass of wine that could complete twaddle. If you have someone near by with INPA loaded or maybe you have it yourself you could code yourself, 

I take it the Switch is OK? Relays all check out OK

Dave

Hi Dave yep all was fine until i heard that click when sorting the rear number plate light out. I do have the INPA and the cable etc, lots of tutorials on the web so pay attention in class and maybe get it sorted, enjoy the wine 

BINGO sorted it was the LCM sourced one of ebay £12 posted, dead easy job, 3 screws lower dash, drop down to access 2 nuts holding LCM, unplug ribbon cable and loom plug, sorted. Mileage still the same too, well pleased.