5 series radio

redrick567

Hi, I have a 2001 530D touring with no radio. I tried to fit a Sony with the BMW conversion cable. It powered up but no sound.

It turns out I have a CD multichanger and Amp in the boot, which apparently means complicated cabling changes to get something like the Sony to work. I assume this is because the Sony already has an Amp in it? Apologies, my knowledge of auto sound systems is a little thin.

Do all 5 series of that vintage have a separate Amp, so if I get any 5 series radio off ebay it will work?

Or do some have radios without a remote Amp so I would need to be careful what I buy?

Any advice on this topic would be appreciated

Many thanks

Rick

Hi Rick 

Welcome to the Forum

2001 was change over year for E39 to E60 models, so it could be easy or complicated have a look at www.realoem.com put the last 7 digits of your Vin in the search box it will bring up your model, then search the Audio section. At least then you know what your dealing with. You can also look at www.newtis.info for wiring diagrams so you can find a work around.

Good hunting

Dave

It seems BMW Europe don't like Dealer information on the open market however the access laws in the USA are very different. Yes the site is US and in $ but part numbers are the same many motor factors here and else where in Europe use the site to cross reference parts. www.newtis.info is the other site this one is a technical information site with how too's the same information that Dealers access but of great use to DIY'ers like us. 

Another American site is www.Pelicanparts.com brilliant how too's with pictures being American the steering on the wrong side but very usable information.

When using realoem you will notice it defines right and left hand drive 

Good luck

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links