Undertray oil sump flap Missing

Creagle

Hi 

I have a 54 plate 116i, that car is in a good condition. But in doing the last oil change myself I broke the little catch that keeps the oil sump access flap in shut position on the under-tray. I've now obviously taken off the flap and kept it in safe keeping. 

Having a quick search for the replacement part I can't easily find it, I could probably get it from BMW with some effort but my question is, is there any need to? 

The whole under-tray is in tact and in-place, just the oil sump access flap is off the car now. iIll the car come in harms way in any way with the small opening in the under-tray or am I worrying for no reason, I know many cars have no under-tray at all. My thinking is the potential issues are a well-targeted stone/debris hitting the sump and causing damage - but that seems a very remote possibility; potential damage from salt on the roads, but I hardly see much spray getting its way through the tiny gap; only other potential worry is effect on aerodynamics/fuel economy, but this must be very minimal. 

Thanks for any input. If you think I should get a new catch so that I can put the flap back in place, please let me know where I can get one. 

Many thanks

Chris 

Morning Chris

Welcome to the Forum

If the flap is removable logic says there will probably be a replacement part for it. Check www.realoem.com it is a BMW online parts list, put the last 7 digits of your Vin number in the search box and it will bring up your model then search for the bit you need. You can also look at www.newtis.info this one is a technical information site the same as the information used by BMW Dealers.

I don't think the risk is high of driving without it, for me it is about originality "if it had one it should be fitted"

Dave

On 11/15/2019 at 7:35 AM, Greydog said:

Morning Chris

Welcome to the Forum

If the flap is removable logic says there will probably be a replacement part for it. Check www.realoem.com it is a BMW online parts list, put the last 7 digits of your Vin number in the search box and it will bring up your model then search for the bit you need. You can also look at www.newtis.info this one is a technical information site the same as the information used by BMW Dealers.

I don't think the risk is high of driving without it, for me it is about originality "if it had one it should be fitted"

Dave

Thanks Dave, I think you're right, best just to have the part. 

I cant navigate BMW's website to buy the part but have found the part number and just sent them a message asking how I can order it. Is it just me or is the website for buying parts atrocious? 

Also going to order some new hex screws for the under-tray as most are rusty and loose - wouldn't like it to drop off on the motorway! 

On an unrelated note, my low oil light came on today, I was aware it was getting low but it did catch me out - I got the 1litre it requested in within a few miles. It's used a litre of oil in 6500 miles (since the last oil change) is that typical for a 116i 1 series? 

Morning Chris

The web site is so that you can be sure you have the right part number, not to order from. Use the part number when talking to BMW parts people or Factors so you know you have the correct part. I have used Cotswold BMW in the past they have been good on price and fast with mail order as an example, I also use ECP an other factors but always use the part numbers.

Oil consumption is a bit of a "how long is a piece of string" question as it depends on so many variables, engine wear, oil grade used, leaks, turbo issues the list is long. I believe your model has a sensor and a dip stick personally I would use the dip stick, I dont trust sensors and over filling with oil is as bad for a modern engine as low oil.

Dave

Thanks for the advice Dave. I actually tried to get the part from ECP some time ago but even with the part number they could not find it, when speaking via their online chat. 

I got the part ordered from Bowker in Blackburn and it arrived today in the post, they didn't charge any postage which seems very good - excellent service. Will get it on tomorrow in the daylight. 

The car has been very well maintained previously and for the three years I have owned it, but I suspect the mileage (108,000) is probably a significant factor in the consumption. Doing some googling I see some manufacturers consider much higher oil consumption acceptable, even on brand new cars! 

Sadly mine only has an electronic sensor, which seems madness. I get the benefit of having both - an instant warning can be shown when it's low, but no oil dipstick seems the worst option of all. Being a 15 year old car I would have no recourse with BMW if the sensor failed and the engine blew from low/no oil. The sensor is varying from saying 3/4 full to completely full so it seems to be the right level and measuring correctly... for now.