x3 2ltr M Sport

Phil o Plymouth

Hi Folks

At an advances age just bought 1st BMW, Owned Mercs, Range Rovers Triumph 2.5s etc in the past.

It,s a 2016 X3  2 ltr diesel M Sport with 18500 on the clock from local BM main dealer

This one is after a week an impressive motor.  So:-

What consumption can I get on a M way keeping within the law?

How about reliability

Any known issues?

Any tips?

Any info welcome here to learn!

Phil

Welcome Phil

The 3.0ltr diesel X5's get high 30's early 40's so I would expect at least the same maybe more when driving like Miss Daisy's Chauffeur

As far as reliability is concerned early BMW 2ltr diesels suffered timing chain issues but apparently later engines are OK. I have never been a fan of extended service schedules so personally I change oil and filter at 5k intervals. It can't hurt.

Get at BMW specific code reader it will (a) allow you to know about any issues or potential issues (b) allow you to make decisions about whether you do the work or pay others.

A couple of sites to help www.realoem.com a BMW online parts list just put the last 7 digits of your Vin in the search box it will bring up your model. www.newtis.info this one is a BMW Technical information site the same information that is used by BMW Dealers. Information and knowledge are power when negotiating

Most important ENJOY your car

Dave.

If under the typical BMW service regime and it hasn't had the oil changed in a while I would tend to that, but presumably the dealer would have serviced it prior to delivery? Presumably you'll also have the BMW assured warranty in place for piece of mind. If you ask the service dept to change the oil early it'll send them into panic, they don't understand that the car service indicator isn't god like. 

Enjoy your X3, I think you'll enjoy it. 

I can't remember the last time I saw Triumph 2.5.

Upt'North. 

Cheers boys

Yes MPG about 25 around town, 35 0n urban roads, and M way .. not yet tested. Acceptable for nice motor.

The Computer is be wildering at first but learning

Not sure about run flats, we shall see.

As to doing my own servicing at 82 y o  only memories.

And yes the 2.5 PI Triumph Auto was a helluva car!!

But so was the CLK!

Had some good cars in my time. and come Xrap as well.. a Morris 1800S where the G,box oil leaked in to control cables, jamming the box every so often. And a Rover 75, where the least said the better

Life is a learning curve!!

Phil

On 11/12/2019 at 8:59 AM, Upt'North said:

If under the typical BMW service regime and it hasn't had the oil changed in a while I would tend to that, but presumably the dealer would have serviced it prior to delivery? Presumably you'll also have the BMW assured warranty in place for piece of mind. If you ask the service dept to change the oil early it'll send them into panic, they don't understand that the car service indicator isn't god like. 

Enjoy your X3, I think you'll enjoy it. 

I can't remember the last time I saw Triumph 2.5.

Upt'North. 

Here you go:

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C830170

I remember South Wales Police using this PI version. They spent most of their time off the road with the inherant metering pump problems.