stevew_68

Has anyone come across this problem before. internal blowers, demister for front windscreen, the max button, air conditioning button etc do not seem to work but this is only intermittent occasionally I get into the car and it will work and continue working for for a few days then stop then it won't work again for another few days then start working again. the back demister works absolutely fine so I cannot decide what is going wrong whether it is a loose wire or something like that does anyone have any ideas

Morning Steve

My guess is the FSR (Final Stage Resistor) or Hedgehog is starting to go. These cause all sorts of silly issues it isnt a difficult job just fiddly. Google it 

The FSR is buried behind the heater and accessed from the drivers footwell, you need to take off the kick plate under the dash remove the carpet strip that runs along the top of the tunnel by the hand brake. No special tools just a cross head screw driver.

Seat right back to give maximum room then the fiddly bit if your hands are like mine, getting you big mit up behind the heater to unclip the FSR and unplug it (I found it easier to remove the FSR then the plug) Total job took me about 10 mins.

Dave

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Greydog said:

Morning Steve

My guess is the FSR (Final Stage Resistor) or Hedgehog is starting to go. These cause all sorts of silly issues it isnt a difficult job just fiddly. Google it 

The FSR is buried behind the heater and accessed from the drivers footwell, you need to take off the kick plate under the dash remove the carpet strip that runs along the top of the tunnel by the hand brake. No special tools just a cross head screw driver.

Seat right back to give maximum room then the fiddly bit if your hands are like mine, getting you big mit up behind the heater to unclip the FSR and unplug it (I found it easier to remove the FSR then the plug) Total job took me about 10 mins.

Dave

Sorry if I'm misunderstanding this, but are you meaning, unplug it the plug it in again or unplug it and leave it unplugged? What does the FSR do? 

No once these little pests decide to go they go so it means a new FSR should have said unplug and fit a new one

The final stage resistor (FSR) helps manage all heater panel functions, Fan Speed, Heat distribution the whole thing. If your getting erratic fan speed or no fan at all no heat from one side or another it will normally be the FSR

Google BMW FSR and have a read

If the blower motor's are not working aircon not working heater not working it will be the FSR that needs changing

Take a look at https://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/BMW-X5/28-ELEC-Blower_Motor_Final_Stage_Replacement/28-ELEC-Blower_Motor_Final_Stage_Replacement.htm

The only difference is as it is an American site steering is on the wrong side so they dont have pedals in the way.

• 3 weeks later...

The roller in the centre of the two middle outlets is showing the red dots isn't it?

In the engine bay right hand side as you look in there is a twin solenoid that controls heat left side right side they often go sticky or just stop first time I just unplugged it and re-connected all good. But after the engine rebuild I had to replace it to get things toasty in the cabin.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 10/15/2019 at 9:14 AM, Upt'North said:
On 11/3/2019 at 7:22 AM, Greydog said:

Morning Steve

Dave

10 minutes??? 

my e46 took me about 4 hours. It had all sorts of torx head screws and the like. 
I lost more knuckles than patience.... 

Edited by X5smw
Wrong quote