B47 egr cleaning

Donny1972

Hi I was just wondering has anyone cleaned there own egr valve on these newer BMW engines.  Mate of mines is sticking and causing it to run a bit rough now and then and just need some info as to how hard a job it is. 

• Not a BMW but we did clean my sons Toyota, straight forward job. We couldnt believe the amount of soot in the EGR and the inlet tract we had a henry hgover running all the time to suck out any loose stuff while we cleaned. Still when he floored it once on the dual carriage way he said it look like a special effect from a Harry Potter movie behind him as everything was enveloped in a huge black cloud, the up side by the time anyone emerged he was long gone. The black cloud only happened once and performance was back to normal so success

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I had an EGR problem with my 325D but cleaning wouldn't have solved it. After nearly 70,000 miles, a leak had developed causing exhaust to penetrate into the actual mechanism which led to it's sticking. Only solution was a new valve which came out at £260 including fitting. This was at an independent garage, not a main agent but the new valve was genuine BMW part. (According to the garage owner, I could have asked for proof but felt it unnecessary).

You say in your post it's your mates car, depends on vintage and mileage.

Hi Donny

That's a fairly low mileage for a 2016 car. This might suggest frequent small journeys rather than long commutes or travelling greater distances.

If so, take the car for a 200 mile drive so it gets good and hot all the way through and this may help in clearing carbon build up.

Otherwise a clean of the valve may be necessary following the instructions posted earlier.