2014 X5 Air Suspension Bucking Violently

🤣 We have a 2014 X5, purchased used, that started bucking like a Bronco when you drove over a bump, after owning for 2 years.  The rear was sagging almost down to the wheels, so I replaced the air bags thinking this would fix the problem. The bags aren't inflating properly, but when I go over bumps, it still bucks violently and I need help trying to diagnose what the problem is and get this UDM operating like it should.  Help me Obiwan.

Morning Larry

Welcome to the Force  Padiwan!!

First is your X5 full front and rear air or just rear? I have read that the F15 models have either 2 or 4 level sensors depending on whether you have adaptive suspension (2) or adaptive suspension with Zennon or adaptive LED lights (4) or full air (4)

First driving on deflated air bags will damage them. The air bags are pretty robust I just changed my rear airbags at 16 years. When the car is opened does the compressor run? If not check the fuses (1 x 7.5a 1 x 30a on my X5) If the fuses are OK then check the compressor relay, not normally an issue but stuff does fail. The self leveling sensors are pretty robust but again if one had failed the issue would be on that corner.

If you need help finding stuff take a look at www.realoem.com put the last 7 digits of your vin into the search box and it will bring up your model, this is a BMW online parts list so when buying replacement parts you know you have the right part.

Also www.newtis.info this one is a BMW Technical Information site this is the same information that BMW Dealer workshops use plenty of pictures and drawings with descriptions.

Let us know how it goes

Dave

Dave,
I really appreciate the help and information. I’ve been in school with little time to look at it yet but will investigate today. I disconnected the compressor and started a host of other problems so I reconnected it and some have cleared, not all. Have the frontal collision inoperable warnings and others. Turn signals don’t cancel. Major concern is ride height and violent bouncing over bumps. Don’t know if it’s a fuse, relay, compressor or other module. Still learning the system. You been a great help. I’ll keep in touch.
Larry

Morning Larry

I take it the faults you are seeing are displayed on the I-drive screen, you really need the codes read by someone with the right software they will also be able to reset the triggered codes.

You need a garage with Autologic or BMW software to be able to check and reset everything plus identify the issue, you could try disconnecting the battery for 1/2 an hour to reset everything also make sure it is fully charged (your cars equivalent of the computer turn it off fix)  I would avoid driving the car as each trip could cause damage due to having no suspension at all.

Dave

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links