525 Rear Camber Adjust

LeeH41

I have a 2006 525i and the rear tires are showing signs of uneven tire wear. Specifically on the inside. I am fairly convinced that this is due to the aggressive negative camber that BMW has in the rear end. Front tires wear evenly, there is no pulling or tracking issues. Does anyone know if there is a quality aftermarket or OEM camber adjustment kit out there, or does anyone have any ideas on whether or not there is any way of adjusting camber with the factory control arms installed?

Morning Lee

Your 5 series has adjustable rear suspension you adjust camber and toe, by turning eccentric bolts I wouldn't recommend playing yourself it is best done by someone with a Hunter 4 wheel alignment system or similar.

Before spending your hard earned on an alignment session I would check the lower ball joints from my experience with the X5's (same set up) these bushes are good for about 80k or so.If you have air suspension at the rear it has to be deflated or you won't find any slack.

Changing them is a DIY proposition in fact I brought a complete suspension kit from e bay and spent a weekend refurbishing the rear end, then the alignment session to set it up.

Have look at www.realoem.com put the last 7 digits of your Vin number in the search box it will bring up your model the look at the rear axle section. Also check www.pelicanparts.com for how too's 

If you don't fancy the DIY route a good Independent Garage should be capable of doing the work in a morning.

Good Luck

Dave

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the info. I took your advice and ran the beast over to the alignment shop. Of course we found the rear wheel camber to be -2.25 degrees left wheel and -2.19 degrees right wheel. Both were adjusted to -1.34 degree left and -1.40 degree right. The car has a set of 19" M series wheels on it (came on the car) and the shop recommended going back to an 18" wheel, getting away from the Pirelli run-flats and go to a regular tire to improve ride and make the tires go a bit longer. I'm driving about 5,500 Kms./month. The tires are only 6 months old but are already worn close to the wear bars.  I live in Dubai, and I have found the advice of so called "Master Mechanics" to vary wildly so I will be on here quite a bit looking for advice and tips.

Thanks!

BMW Align 08:2019.pdf

Morning Lee

A pleasure good to know you have it sorted

Camber is only half the story toe has much more effect on accelerated wear. Good to know that you have been able to sort it.

Often as the suspension bushes wear (about 80000 to 100000 km) seems to be service life adjustment will suffer. Wheel size will have an effect on ride but not wear as the smaller rim size will have a deeper side wall (which has a spring effect) Most wheels are chosen for the cosmetics than practicality.

Dave