Cruise button worn

Bogof1

Hello everyone, first post.

Ive just bought a 2011 X3 2.0 xdrive with 156000 miles the clock. My question is about the cruise button that has clearly had a lot of use and the rubber on the button (that you use to increase or decrease the speed) is split and needs replacing. Has anyone replaced that button? Was it easy to do? where can i buy a replacement button?

Welcome Nigel

First congratulations on the X3 second the worn Cruise Buttons demonstrate it has been a Motorway warrior spending plenty of time at constant speed/revs which is kinder on the engine and drive train. I assume the service history is good as well.

Have a look at www.realoem.com it is a BMW online parts list  as used by Dealers, open the site put the last 7 digits of your Vin number in the search box and it will bring up your model. Then search for the part you want it will give you the part number plus an indication of cost in dollars. At least you will know that (a) the part is available or not from a Dealer (b) An indicative cost 

Hope it helps

Dave

Also look at www.newtis.info a BMW technical information site which will help with "how too's"

• Like 1

Thanks very much, i’ll Do that. I have the vin and seem to think there is a way of finding out the spec of the car but i dont know which site to use

Morning Nigel

realoem will give parts I believe there was a site bmw vindecoder or similar, but I believe this will only give the spec and options fitted at build, no part numbers as far as I know (never checked mine) Where as realoem will give a full list of all parts available for your model fitted or not, so if something is not working or being replaced you know your getting the right part or if upgrading likewise you know the part will fit. newtis will show how to test, remove or fit it

Many guys with X5's have fitted complete steering wheels from M cars with paddle shifts as upgrades, I have kept mine as it left the factory.

Dave 

Getting quoted £180 from BMW. Can’t buy just this button, have to buy the complete set for both sides of the steering wheel. It would be cheaper to buy a new wheel from ebay and put that on. Now going to look at the possibility of changing this button with the button that controls the volume on the radio. That one is in good condition and I wont use it as often as the cruise button