BMW 635csi 1982

JoyRydah

Hi Guys

Hi Guys,

Just about to by a 1982 635 CSi, Its been in storage for some time and is in excellent condition the only problem is the Head is blown. Where do you recommend I start to look for parts for this model and/or  possibly a replacement engine ?

WOW that is a find, obviously an engine swap will get you up and running quickly however you do have your hands on a bit of a classic so keeping numbers matching will help its value long term.

You say the head is blown ? Do you mean head gasket ? Or does the head have terminal corrosion it can happen where the wrong or no antifreeze was used ? 

The engine was the M30 (from memory) so finding a good cylinder head shouldn't be to difficult. In your position I would try and keep chassis and engine numbers matching with the V5, if there has already been a change then a replacement won't make much difference. If you can get a restored pristine car with matching numbers I have seen them advertised for £20000 +

Let us know how it goes

Dave

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/7/2019 at 8:08 AM, Greydog said:

WOW that is a find, obviously an engine swap will get you up and running quickly however you do have your hands on a bit of a classic so keeping numbers matching will help its value long term.

You say the head is blown ? Do you mean head gasket ? Or does the head have terminal corrosion it can happen where the wrong or no antifreeze was used ? 

The engine was the M30 (from memory) so finding a good cylinder head shouldn't be to difficult. In your position I would try and keep chassis and engine numbers matching with the V5, if there has already been a change then a replacement won't make much difference. If you can get a restored pristine car with matching numbers I have seen them advertised for £20000 +

Let us know how it goes

Dave

Thank you for that info Greydog..as far as i know the head is porous but ive lined up the engine for a complete rebuild. Thanks for all the info

On 7/9/2019 at 2:29 PM, Bimmer Owners Club said:

Hi Paul

Feel free to share a pic or two....would love to see the CSi, haven't seen one in years

No worries ..this is how she looks so far..flat tyres tho so i couldn't roll her out of the garage

BM1.jpg

BMI 2.jpg

• Like 1

Very nice, certainly looks good from the initial pictures.

If you aren't already aware www.realoem.com may help with part numbers it is a BMW online parts site go to the classic section put the last 7 digits of the Vin in the search box and it will bring up your model then search the sections for what you need. It will make certain you have parts that are going to fit.

You could also try www.newtis.info its a BMW technical information site you may find more information and how too's there.

Dave

• 5 months later...

Not yet Mick

No progress yet Im afraid Mick,,i'm stuck between restoration companies that are trying to bend me over on price for restoration, I have had a good quote to re build the engine from a very good company that ii have used before but unfortunately they have been a bit lapse in getting back to me