vibration under load

danny c

Hi all i'm a new kid on the block and would appreciate if one of could give some advice I have a 60 plate 520D which vibrates and shudders under load I have changed engine mounts and prop shaft bushes but to no avail cannot find anything loose or that has play in it regards danny c

thank you for coming back to me it did but after changing both ends of prop and engine mounts it now is really only in 5th &6th

once it gets up to speed and you ease off it tends to even out  bit of a head scratcher

Morning Danny

With Trevor on this a puzzle but puzzles are a challenge and we love a challenge.

When the vibration is there do you feel it through the steering or through the seat of your pants? Just trying to get a feel for which end of the car, put your hand on the gear stick do you feel it more? You have changed engine mounts did you change the gear box mounts? Prop Centre bearing? Or could it be DPF related just my thoughts.

Dave

morning lads

at its worst the whole car shakes almost certain its not coming from the front end, gearbox mounts seem to be in good condition no slack as do the drive shafts

will try centre bearing and see what happens thank you for your help.

danny

Morning Danny

With Trevor on this a puzzle but puzzles are a challenge and we love a challenge.

When the vibration is there do you feel it through the steering or through the seat of your pants? Just trying to get a feel for which end of the car, put your hand on the gear stick do you feel it more? You have changed engine mounts did you change the gear box mounts? Prop Centre bearing? Or could it be DMF related just my thoughts.

Dave

Just a thought Danny

I had vibration under load at around 3000 rpm my engine viscous fan had a damaged blade don't know how it happened but it caused vibration that eventually destroyed the water pump, the second time my water pump failed I decided to investigate and found the damaged fan. Took it off no vibration so I replaced it with an electric fan, but I could feel the vibration in the car.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys

clutch and dmf were on the way out have replaced both but the !Removed! thing is still the same have gone through the entire drive train

and cannot find anything wrong i'm at the end of my tether with this my gasted is truly flabbard

Morning Danny

What a pain in the proverbials !! So a recap on work done.

1) Engine Mounts changed    (Question were these OEM as I believe they should be active mounts ?)

2) Gearbox Mounts changed

3) Propshaft centre bearing and couplings changed

4) DMF and Clutch changed

The only things left is the Diff and axle driveshafts and rear wheel bearings, is the oil level OK in the Diff no excessive backlash? are the drive shaft UJ's OK ? 

An after thought have you had the codes read in case it is a misfire under load??

Dave

Hi dave

thank you for your info bearings ok shafts seem ok diff level ok will try having codes read and see what happens 

will come back with results once again thank you and all who have given advice

danny

Morning Danny

How is tyre wear at the rear? is it even across the tread? are the rear tyres the same each side? Do you have air suspension at the rear? 

The reason for asking is the rose joints on the X5 (5 series on steroids) are a known failure causing all sorts of odd wear and alignment issues. To actually see the wear the air suspension has to be deflated. When I did mine (I have done them twice now due to pulling a horse trailer) I buy a kit and change all the links and bushes.

Kind of clutching at straws now

Dave