Michelin Pilot 4S

JRH406

I am going to replace the rear tyres on my E46 M3 with Michelin Pilot 4S.

As you can see from the two images the tyres for BMW are not only approx. £20 more expensive but also 

are lower ratings on both Fuel Efficiency & Wet Grip.

I've contacted Michelin & they naturally say I should go for the BMW tested / approved tyres but I would

appreciate feedback on which I should get.

Many thanks

JRH406 

Michelin Pilot 4S.JPG

Michelin Pilot 4S BMW.JPG

I'm also looking at replacing all my tyres with these same ones, are the BMW a different tyre then?  I'd be inclined to go for the cheaper one, although have no idea why the ratings should be different 🤔

Take care with the Xdrive cars as the star rated tyres are supposed to be more consistent in they're rolling radius, in particular if you have staggered wheels (fatter rears) it doesn't take much difference with Xdrive cars to cause transmission wind up and damage.

Technically the tyres are the same the "star" rated tyres are made in batches to ensure they are consistent (or so I am told) With my X5 20" 275 front 315 rears I have run non star rated tyres with the help of a local fitting centre we stand front and rear tyres side by side to make sure they are close in rolling radius and have so far avoided issues.

Dave

• 2 years later...

I’ve had the PS4 on my E46 M3 and they were very good in the dry and also looked after me in the wet a very good tyre. However I'm also looking for an alternative, I believe although I'm not sure the factory fitted tyres were Continental. If anyone knows for sure please post and let us know. 

Just to confuse Michelin, Continental and Bridgestone are all on the BMW list. For what its worth I have a friend who has a 2003 E46 M3 Coupe his car runs 19" Rims fronts are 225/40 rears are 255/35 currently he has Yokohama Advan fitted we just got back from Golf so I have had a look. He is happy with them wet and dry (though if it is wet he is out by accident) says he got a good deal early last year with Black Circles