Service Requirements

BAUGHAP

I bought a brand new BMW X1 in late June 2017 which is when the vehicle was first registered with 0miles on the clock.

I'm now told by my dealer, and BMW, that because the vehicle was actually manufactured in February 2017, it is now overdue for a service (as displayed in the vehicle).

I've had lots of new vehicles over the years, albeit not BMWs, and this is the first time this has ever arisen.

To take it to the extreme, your new car could sit in a compound for say 12 months from manufacture until it was first registered and your first service for this type of vehicle which should be 2 years or 18,000 miles, would be due after 12 months.

To me, this is a nonsense, but according to BMW is correct.

Anyone else had this problem with a BMW??

Morning Bourny

Welcome to the Forum 

This is no doubt triggered by the all seeing "BMW computer system" which has flagged the Dealer that the car is 2 years old and doesn't show up on the service register. As you say the gap between manufacture and sale seems to be ignored. From your position the only thing I would be cautious of is if this were to effect your new vehicle warranty? 

Dave

Thanks for the response Dave. I certainly won't risk my warranty and I expect I'll just pay up and 'look big'.

It's not actually about the money, more a matter of principle!

So, you buy a brand new car which has a 2 , 3 & 4 year service program (as described in their documentation), but because the vehicle manufacture date was 4 months prior to the vehicle being first registered, the schedule is actually 1yr & 8 months, 2yrs & 8 months, and for the major inspection, 3 year & 8 months.   

I've never seen anything in BMW's sales literature about this, not even in the small print.

My daughter has a new Audi and I talked with Audi today who informed me, the service dates are re-set during the pre-delivery inspection when the vehicle is first registered for a customer, which is what I expected from BMW. I think I'll contact Mercedes next and the other so called 'premium brands' and see what their procedures are.

I'm not giving up yet. I've already written to the motoring editor of our local paper (car magazines and nationals next) to see if they want to do an article from a industry wide perspective, as I'm not sure how many other manufacturers adopt this same less than satisfactory process as far as I'm concerned.

Bourny

Try BMW UK customer service I have always assumed age of vehicle would be from first registration, that is how it was with the Volvo's and Mercedes with the manufacture date only used for spares identification.

Dave