E64 Main Beam not working - its not the bulbs or fuses

jenksy

Hi, I am new to the site and very much enjoying my 2006 E64. Great bit of kit.

Ive Had some great help and guidance in the past from owner sites on other vehicles so I'm hoping the Bimmer owners is similar.

Got an issue - both main beam lights stopped working, at the same time (only main beam). Bit weird I thought. Got a bulb out but the bulb was OK, not blown. Blue lamp on dash operates when the stalk is activated also, but the bulbs are not working.

Went to fuse boxes and there doesn't appear to be any specific fuse listed for main beam headlights, unless someone can tell me otherwise. Checked a number of general fuses that appeared to be linked to headlights, all good.

Is there a relay of some kind that may have blown. The fact both sides went U/S simultaneously suggests a common part is blown or broken somewhere. Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated.

The light units are Bi xenon and main beam using the H7 type bulb. I look forward to hearing back.

Many thanks.

Jenksy 

Morning Paul

My first port of call is www.realoem.com to locate what I suspect the issue is then www.newtis.info which is the same information that Dealers use for changing/repairing parts. That should help you track down the the bit you need.

Good Luck

Dave

OK, thanks to Greydog for the guidance also,  some updates on my main beam.

I have now fully tested the main beam (inner lights) on my E64 headlight arrays. At night the following happens on either auto or full lights setting:

Angel eyes on, flash the lights using the stalk (pull towards), inner beam works, blue light on dash, outer lights also flash brighter. IN the daylight the inner beam also flashes when flashing only.

Angel eyes on, flick the column stalk to full beam permanent (push away once), blue light is on the dash, outside lights move to beam but inner lights on the array do not activate.

This is really puzzling. I had the windscreen changed last year and Im wondering if this is a sensor led problem or if it is a stalk problem when on permanent. Even though the blue light is activated on the dash the inner lights have no juice.

Any other thoughts appreciated.

Paul    

Is it because you have Bi xenon lights? The inner lamps maybe just flash? I believe they did this as sudden start On/Off actuation of Xenon lamps could kill the ballast. As I understand it Bi-xenon lamps are on full beam all the time but have a shield/flap that cuts off light scatter on low beam setting. When the high beam is switched on the shield/flap is raised giving full beam, and supplemented by the halogens. Daylight just the halogens flash.

I can't think of another reason, my X5 has xenon dip beam supplemented with halogen main beam only.

HI Greydog I appreciate your patience. It is looking like a non problem and it could well be that the inner lamps are just for flash activity.

I'm going to have a chat with MOT garage also on this just to be sure as it cant be the only one that does that

Regards

Jenksy

• 4 years later...