120d m sport, suspension fainling

Dave 0

Hi,

i have a less than 3 year old still in waranty 120d M sport, I’ve had the car from new and it has done about 70k miles.

i was recently driving the car on a straight road and suddenly the car started steering to the left, after an hour or so the car became unstable and in driveable. I pulled over, called BMW and they recovered the car to a BMW garage. The car was inspected and one of the service reps informed me there was substantial damage to the suspension of the car. A suspension arm, roll bar and both shock absorbers are damaged, with lots of other problems and a bill of £2500. They’ve tried to lay the blame on me, and say I’ve hit somthing.

ive owned the car from me and never hit anything, any advice out there?

thanks

Morning David

Welcome to the forum sorry it's under stressful circumstances.

Has the car been repaired? Did they give you the damaged parts? Did they actually show you the "damage" on the car? If you had hit something I would expect to see some evidence underneath, scraped or damaged under trays at a minimum, certainly to cause the damage described the impact wouldn't go un-noticed.

Sadly if your car was repaired and they kept the parts removed there is no evidence for you to argue against.

Dave

Hi David....welcome to the Forum

I would definitely call in an independent vehicle inspector to investigate the car.

First thing that rings alarm bells is that you say it started off pulling to one side and then got progressively worse, can't see how that is possible if it is damaged components that are the cause.
If it was a sudden failure of a suspension component and as it worked loose or similar then that would make sense.

It sounds like a cover up to me, I'm sure there is a recent thread on here about the electric power steering column or motor failing which could cause the same symptoms and also it is a manufacturer fault that they are not owning up to (wrong type of bolts used).

Let us know how you get on with it